anybody incubate eggs for other people?

what was i thinking

Songster
11 Years
Oct 1, 2008
cny ny
Hello. I have a large, old, farm master incubator that holds something like 400 eggs. I was considering offering space to hatch eggs for others. I was wondering if anyone does or has done this in the past? Can you tell me how it went? Charge them?
I hate to run it for a small amount of eggs.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

I have done this for a local lady. I hatched out about 65 chicks for her. More so because I like hatching eggs not for the money. If you have a local feed store I would talk to the manager to see of you could work out a deal. Locally hatched chicks fare better than the stressed ones that have gone through shipping. I would recommend putting out some feelers to see what kind of reaction you get and $2 a chick is not bad at all. unless you plan on sexing chicks you will have to sell as straight run as M to F ratio will be around 50/50.

Thanks jessshan8. I am thinking I really want the big bator full when I run it. But if I can get a little to help the cost of running it that would be great to. Feed store doesn't sell many chicks except the big ones like tsc. I was thinking a craigslist ad and see what happens.

Last edited:
Make sure people know not all eggs hatch especially shipped eggs! It is hard telling people none of thier eggs hatched especially if they paid good money for them.

They often want to shoot the messenger.

I've had folks locally advertising their incubator service. I have no idea how much response they've gotten, but if I recall correctly it was a dollar an egg, or one person would hatch for half the chicks.

You'll just have to run an ad and see what response is in your area. Decide how much you want to charge and other terms. I remember one ad talked about candling the eggs and not charging for non-viable eggs, things like that.

Here's a link to one local ad, just to give you an idea. You could probably call them and ask about the business, especially since you're not in an area to be competition!

http://medford.craigslist.org/grd/4193890004.html

Last edited:
I've had folks locally advertising their incubator service. I have no idea how much response they've gotten, but if I recall correctly it was a dollar an egg, or one person would hatch for half the chicks.

You'll just have to run an ad and see what response is in your area. Decide how much you want to charge and other terms. I remember one ad talked about candling the eggs and not charging for non-viable eggs, things like that.

Here's a link to one local ad, just to give you an idea. You could probably call them and ask about the business, especially since you're not in an area to be competition!

http://medford.craigslist.org/grd/4193890004.html

Thanks for the input. I like their ad, gives me lots to think about

Back
Top Bottom