Anybody keep chickens AND cats with success?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by moenmitz, Apr 16, 2008.

1. moenmitz

moenmitz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    We are getting our first chicks in a few weeks, and we have 8 barn cats. The little fellas will be in the house (basement) the first few weeks, and in a chicken tractor or their coop at all times until they are bigger, at which point I THINK my cats will not bother them. I mean, would most cats REALLy take on a big, mean chicken? I never even see my lazy beasts with anything but mice and shrews, occasioanlly a baby bunny. Course, I don't see many birds aorund eitehr, but maybe that is just intuition on the birds part?

2. Varisha

Varisha Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2007
    I have barn cats and they don't bother my adult chickens or my 6 week olds, however I think they would think about going after anything smaller than a 6 week old. [​IMG]

I would just watch and see how the cats reacted.

3. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    We have two inside/outside grown cats. I am now hatching in the house so they are never allowed in when chicks are in the house. They never bother the larger hens or roos. They tried when I first got the chickens but the chickens put them in their place first thing. They get along fine now. One cat was a rescued feral cat and he still won't bother them.

4. MissChessy

MissChessy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2007
    Texas
    My two cats love my chickens! They lay in the yard and watch them graze when I let them out to free range. But as for baby chicks, protect them, they think they are playthings.

5. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* My cat and my GROWN chicken get along fine-- even "argue" over best sunny spots in the yard. BUT, my cat is a bird-catching champ and I would NOT trust him a lick if I had small chickees!!

6. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Same here - my cats totally ignore the chickens. I'm sure they would go for a little chick, but once they get some size on them they should be safe with your cats.

7. kurby

kurby Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    East,Texas
    I have 3 barn cats and none of them even think about the grown chickens, now a peep? that might be a different story.
    Karen

8. ChickNLittle

ChickNLittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Folkston, Georgia
    [​IMG] I dont see your chickens being bothered by the cats. I have farm cats, and my daughter in law has a "mean" cat, BUT.....the chickens steal the cat food from the cats if we let them. The cats go off when they see them chickens coming. [​IMG]

9. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Chickens are outdoors. Cats are indoors.

No problems.

10. moenmitz

moenmitz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Good to know, thank you! I thought the same thing, and am relieved to hear it isn't to radical! I will definitely keep the little ones away from them, and hopefully the cats will stick to hunting the little critters that might get my chicks. Not too worried about our dog-he had a pet duck that slept on his head for several years-he kills coons like crazy though, so hopefully he will keep them out of the hen house!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by