Anybody keeping gamefowl?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by pascopol, Jan 1, 2011.

1. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    I am itching to get a few gamefowl hens, anybody keeps those beauties here?

How many eggs per season game hen will produce? I can use them for hatching peacocks, since they are excellent and protective mothers.

2. peacockfarmer1

peacockfarmer1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    i keep some game hens mostly game roosters

right now i have 15 game hens they lay pretty good but mine are usually setting on eggs
    i use them for guinea eggs, peacock eggs, chicken eggs, game chicken eggs, and turkey eggs
    one of my grey games would attack you if you came within 10 ft of her chicks
    but you don't want to let game hen hatch and raise peafowl/what i do is let them hatch them(much better hatch rate than my incubators like 95 to even 100% hatch) then take the peachick and put in in a brooder on wire above ground
    like i said they lay really good but in spring and summer don't let eggs accumulate unless u want them to set cause they will!
    good luck:)
    the rooster in this picture is hatch X sweater the hen is Democrat X hatch
    [​IMG]

3. phasianidae

phasianidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    I have OEGBs, what kind of gamefowl do you want?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    There's a whole entire thread here on Gamefowl, just look back to I believe the second or third page to find it. . I myself have Oriental Gamefowl and LOVE them. [​IMG]

5. RainbowBirds_of_a_Feather

RainbowBirds_of_a_Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2010
    Maui

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by