Anybody know about electric clothes dryer

ams3651

Songster
12 Years
Jan 23, 2008
3,343
13
223
NE PA
My 5 year old son is exceptional at breaking things.
My Maytag dryer has the round lint screen in the back of the inside of the dryer. My son took it off and the plastic cover over the "insides" and, I think, dropped a plastic talking thing from inside a stuffed animal inside. My washer and dryer are wedged in where they are, in the hall of what was a double wide trailer, its a major undertaking to take them out. I cant get in there from the inside of the dryer to tell if or where it is. My question is will it melt in there and cause problems? I dont have a repair man to ask and Im afraid to run it. I sure would appreciate it if someone knows.
 

BirdBrain

Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers
12 Years
May 7, 2007
2,284
17
216
Alaska
You might see if there are any screws you can undo to take off the area around the lint screen. My Dryer has the lint screen in the front and I am able to unscrew the whole shebang and clean it out on occasion. You might see if the talking thing has enough metal to stick to a magnet. If you think it does, get a child's magnet (like from Geomags or some such thing) and tape it to a long tinker toy. Stick that down in there and see what you come up with. I don't think it would really hurt so much to run the thing. You might try running it on cool and see if you hear anything.
 

FutureChickenMan

Songster
12 Years
Oct 29, 2007
848
6
151
electric dryers don't get as hot as gas dryers. BUT, for your own safety, you need to get those parts out. When it comes to potential fires, you don't want to second chance it. It's probably time to clean up all the lint back there anyway.

just my 2 cents
 

ChickNLittle

Songster
11 Years
Mar 22, 2008
465
1
141
Folkston, Georgia
Any dryer can catch fire from its own internal parts. Better not to take a chance. Don't use it until they get out there and remove the toy and fix it.
 

ams3651

Songster
12 Years
Jan 23, 2008
3,343
13
223
NE PA
Thanks for the responses, what I am talking about is in the back of the tumbler, inside the dryer. Its impossible to see inside because it just falls inside, I even tried a mirror and its too tight a space. Im going to ask my sons skinny friend to jump in behind if we pull it out and take the back off and look inside. When I say its a tight fit, I mean we would have to take the washer out into the kitchen to do anything but pull the dryer forward 2-3 feet.

After I posted this I went out on the back porch opened the freezer and discovered he had been in the garage (hes so skinny he can squeeze thru the chain lock) and dumped lawn mower oil inside.
Calgon, take me away.........
 

OurLittleFarm

In the Brooder
11 Years
Feb 23, 2008
51
0
29
South Western PA
You could also try putting duct tape on a wire hanger (or something else semi-flexible) with the sticky side out. Swipe it around in there and see if you get anything.

PS: I would also give him some benedryl and put him to bed early tonight.
 

richnchicks

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 30, 2008
65
2
29
weatherford, tx.
please, unplug the dryer before you put anything inside it. there is 220 volts and 110 volts inside there and that doesn't go well with people!
 

BirdBrain

Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers
12 Years
May 7, 2007
2,284
17
216
Alaska
Quote:Sounds like someone's done this before....or at least has kiddos!!!

You know it!!
I have 2 boys with ADHD (and a daughter not far behind) and life is a circus at our house.
 

New posts New threads Active threads

Top Bottom