Anybody know anything about Havana Brown cats?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by WyandotteTX, Jun 14, 2011.

1. WyandotteTX

WyandotteTX Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2010
    I am in the market for a new cat in the future for the family. I have seen and read quite a bit about these cats and am wondering if anyone on here has any experience with them? I love the look of the long slender faces and bodies of these types of cats...plus short hair is a bonus as well.

Others I am looking at obtaining would be:
    Colorpoint Shorthair
    Russian Blue
    Oriental Shorthair
    Thanks,
    John

2. Hoss1975

Hoss1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    north central Indiana
    My mom has a Havana brown,they are very active cats,they need lots of stimulation(toy's ect.) or they become bored and destructive.They also like high places,cat shelves or access to high places is a bonus.

3. bagendhens

bagendhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Outside the Boundries
    i havent had any expereince directly with havannas...other than they are stunning...

but will warn with the oriental and colorpoint shorthaireds...do not get involved with these breeds unless you want a very VERY talkative, people orientated cat.

"needy" "clingy" and LOUD are all used to describe them along with siamese, balanese and javanese.

also remember that short haired cats often shed MORE than long haired cats so if short hair is a bonus re shedding look intstead to the rex cats (devon, corish, selkirks) or some of the lower shedding breeds (siberian cats)

if its just a preference for short haired however then youll be fine.
    the one thing i knwo about havanas is they love to play and can be incredibly hard to find.

check out your local CFA show [​IMG]

4. WyandotteTX

Jan 10, 2010
    Thanks for the input!
    We have a very old, 18 years old, cat currently. She is old and crabby and is very vocal...probably because she is going deaf...so the vocal part is not a problem for us.
    I have a six year old daughter who loves cats and treats our dog like a cat most of the time...haha...carrying him around like cat...
    My thought is, if we are going to get another cat I want to get something that I like as well. She just wants a kitten...lol...I want a stately, regal looking cat.
    We have a white cat currently, so even if the cat sheds it will be an improvement over the constant white hair on everything ....lol
    I enjoy having an interactive, fun loving cat around so these breeds sound more like what we want for our family.

We have a min-dachsund also, do these cats get along with dogs ok?

5. bagendhens

bagendhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Outside the Boundries
    well i know siams usually get along with well mannered dogs and havannas are decended from siams, so i cant see why not.

if you want something realy fun, id definatly suggest the devon rex....there not cats, their curly haired aliens form another planet, they love to wag their tails in happiness, follow you round the house like puppies and play fetch!

i do love the siams and their derivitives though (orientals, balis, ect) though for me they HAVE to be the wedgies [​IMG]

6. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    I've looked in to buying one for myself actually, they are beautiful! But breeders are extremely hard to find. Not to mention they very expensive!

7. WyandotteTX

Jan 10, 2010
    Yes I have found that out as well. There are few breeders that will ship kittens to you but like you say I would be surprised if any kitten is under $600........alot for a cat.....lol

8. Duckchick2011

Duckchick2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Louisiana
    Well, why not a siamese or a bob tail,

Both are short haired breeds that supply a little beauty and excitement to your life...without breaking the bank [​IMG]

...The curly furred breeds are also something to look into...they really like to cuddle [​IMG]

(I speak from personal experience [​IMG] )

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by