Anybody know anything about MO divorce laws?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by dakinsmimi, Oct 23, 2007.

1. dakinsmimi

dakinsmimi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2007
    Mississippi
    My daughter and her husband just got a divorce in Missouri and there seems to be a couple of things in conflict. Anybody have any experience with the divorce laws there?

2. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

try googling Missouri divorce laws........I did in my state and got a ton of useful information !

3. dakinsmimi

Jun 16, 2007
    Mississippi
    Thanks for the reply Okie. I tried that and didn't really find what I needed to know. I'm not sure but I think I may be being whodude. Got a call from him saying if she didn't get her car in her name only he could sell it to get it off his credit report. Like I said, I think the wool is being pulled over my eyes.

4. pipermark

pipermark Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    Arkansas
    If the car is in both their names , either one could sell it and then the other would have to pursue it in civil court. IF they are getting a divorce dosent your daughter have a dicorce lawyer you can run this by?

5. dakinsmimi

Jun 16, 2007
    Mississippi
    She does - but I think I'm not getting the full story/truth. My daughter and ex-son-in-law are wanting my husband and I to co-sign on a note to get the loan in my daughter's name only. The whole thing sounds fishy.

6. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sounds fishy to me............the ex could switch the title over to her by himself if that was the only problem.....I would hesitate to co -sign anything in the midst of THEIR divorce.......

7. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    I would contact a lawyer. I don't think anyone here is qualified to give legal advice in such a personal and potentially inflammatory arena.

A divorce should stay between the 2 involved. I make it a rule to stay out of marital problems, even among relatives. It is just not my business.

8. Sherriekim

Sherriekim Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Southwest Idaho
    I'm assuming there is an existing loan on this vehicile either in both their names or just his? If that's the case, then, most likely, one party can't just sign over to the other with out the ok of the lending company involved. The loan would have to be "re-financed" into her name only. If they are wanting you to co-sign, it most likely means she can't get the re-finance or a new loan on her own and the ex wants off the hook free and clear. Some states will allow a divorce to be finalized with a clause stating that whichever party takes the car (or any asset) with an existing loan in both their names can have x numbers of days to get a new loan or get it refinanced into their name as long as the existing loan stays current on payments. Is this confusing? I wrote it and its hard to follow. Just letting you know that there are most likely other avenues for your daughter to look into, they just may not be as easy as having you co-sign the loan. I am not giving legal advice and I'm going with terrielacy - A divorce should stay between the 2 involved. I make it a rule to stay out of marital problems, even among relatives. It is just not my business. Now that is good advice!

9. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Having two grown daughters (and all that entails), we do our level best to maintain the smile of Mona Lisa and the silence of the sphinx.

10. dakinsmimi

Jun 16, 2007
    Mississippi
    Thanks all - I would love to stay out of this, (and have so far) but my husband's comment has been that we have to help her keep her car. I'm just not sure exactally how is the best way to help. The ex says that with Missouri laws it is "understood" that you have x number of days to re-finance into one name. Not sure I buy that any state has certain laws that are "understood".

Thanks again for all your help!!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by