Anybody know how big my coop needs to be?

FF

Songster
10 Years
Jan 9, 2010
Tennessee
Hello. I have 53 baby hens. I am expecting around 45 to live and was wondering how big I need my house to be. I have a run that is 30'x30'. I just need to know how big for the house. And also how many nesting boxes. If you have any plans for this many chickens or have any pictures please post. thanks for looking and helping me. FF

From what I've read, 4-5 sq ft of coop floor space per chicken in back yard environments. 1-2 would be for production style chickens. I've also read that one nesting box for every 4-5 hens is a good goal.

some say two square foot per bird, some say five, I have tried both and they both seemed ok, but I felt better giving them more room

I recommend you go as big as you can...10 square feet per bird, without counting the run, if you can do it on your property and budget. Most people say that is the number if they are confined 100% of the time (i.e., no access to a run), but I have found that even with 10 sq.ft., if they don't get out, you can still have some of the issues that occur with overcrowding.

It also depends where you live. In hot, humid Florida, my birds seem to have less tolerance for crowding, so more is definitely better when it comes to space.

You can get away with less, maybe even half as much with a big run, but I wouldn't unless you have to. You will also need about 10-12 nest boxes for that many, and about 40 linear feet of roosts. You should also count on some kind of watering system with that many birds. I would also come up with a feeding system as well. You might consider this great idea and use three or four of them.....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=3768127

Good luck with that many. I hope you have somebody to help you.

UGCM

Back
Top Bottom