anybody know how to get rid of mites?

DE I sprinkle DE on my coop floor and in warm weather I also place some in the dust bowl area in the run. So far no sign of mites. There are also products made specifically for dusting the chickens for mites.

We've done diotomatious earth(however you spell that) before, too. We've also done chemical stuff, and spray stuff. My little Black-tailed Buff Japanese Bantam Has mites or something pretty bad.

We have had the best luck with Seven dust. We sprinkle it all over their pens and runs and if they get bad then we will sprinkle it right on the birds and work it into their feathers. Keeps them bug free for a long time.

This works great!!!!!! I rescued a hen covered in mites. Immediately after dusting her with the stuff from RandallBurkey they were never seen again
smile.png
(I saw NO results with DE.)

http://www.randallburkey.com/prodinfo.asp?number=60275

I use sevin too, then put a small box of wood ash in the coop, then bye bye mites/lice. Make shure you dust there butts and under there wings. check the feather shafts around there butts, if you find white clumps, thats mite/lice eggs, you have a bad case. dust again in 10 days.

are mites an orangey brown colour and are they shaped a bit like seeds? i think my chickens hav them. i live in new zealand does any1 know if they sell that dust that sum1 put a link for, in nz? and do u know where i might find some? my mum and i bought this spray (from a pet shop) that was supposed to kill them but no matter how often we spray them the number of orangey brown bugs (mites?) never seems to decrease.

Last edited:
Lice are often more sesame seed shaped/colored and mites are often black and spot like. Might try to see if you can find a farm supply place to see if they have any type of poultry dust you can use.

Back
Top Bottom