1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

anybody know how to make a coop out of wood pallets??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by LCwilson, Dec 14, 2009.

1. LCwilson

LCwilson Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    southeastern ohio
    my step dad brought home some wood pallets from his work and i asked if i could make a coop out of them. he said yes and that he would bring about 5-6 home a day.

the only problem is i dont know how i would go about doing this?

can someone help me.

i want to make it a breeder coop with different runs and pens for my cochin bantams when i get them from ideal in the spring.

thanks.

cole.

2. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I just posted a link with instructions on how to do that, let me find it.

3. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I know I've seen it posted on youtube. Maybe look up wood pallet chicken coop?

4. Megs

Megs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
  5. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
  6. ice329

ice329 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2009
    Megs first link looks good...(the pic on the top of the page) I been trying to come up with a way to hold the 7 week old roosters outside away from the hens safely without spending a lot of money and that idea should do it!.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  7. LCwilson

Oct 15, 2009
    southeastern ohio
    thank you very much. keep the ideas coming.

my plan is to have it elevated about 3 foot off the ground and have the cochins on wire during the summer and have a board that hinges up on the bottom during the winter to keep them warm.

then i would like to have pens on the inside to separate my colors so they are purebred and have outside pens for them to get outside.

its going to be under some maple trees so in the fall the leaves will fall off the trees into there pens to keep them busy. in the winter when the bottom gets boarded up ill have some wood shavings on the inside.

thats what i have thought about so far. now i just need to try to figure out how i am going to build that out of wood pallets. hmm, this is going to keep me busy for a while.

cole.

8. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2008
    Ohio
  9. Airilith

Airilith Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Great minds think alike! I just picked up 8 pallets that a local pool store was going to trash. I kept driving by them going that could be my next coop. Called the store, called the DH, and next thing I know they're piled next to my current coop.

Now I just got to figure out how to make it go from a pile of pallets into a functioning coop. It's always easier thought than done, but I'm really excited. [​IMG]

10. LCwilson

Oct 15, 2009
    southeastern ohio
    that's exactually what i was thinking. easier said then done. im gonna really have to think. biggest project i built on my own was a little nest box. haha. im really excited. im going to be building it over the winter. no bugs,,,no sweating,,, in the snow!!!! GREAT!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by