Anybody know what type of Quail these little ones are?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by RainRootShine, Jan 29, 2014.

1. RainRootShine

RainRootShine Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2014
    Portland, OR
    Hello! I'm brand new to the site, so I'm hoping that I'm posting in the right section. If not, my apologies!
    I obtained these littles ones earlier today from a broad off of craigslist, she knew nothing about them, other than they might be button quail (She won them at an auction.)
    This is my first experience with Quail, and I am having a hard time figuring out what types they are?
    Any guesses? Apparently they are about 3 - 4 weeks old. So tiny and cute!

Thank you so much for the help!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. pearson87

pearson87 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2014
    Def look like buttons to me and would say older then 4 weeks just my guess..

3. RainRootShine

Jan 29, 2014
    Portland, OR
    Thanks Pearson87, any chance you know which type of buttons?
    Do you think so? They are pretty darn tiny, and my hand isn't much for ratio!

4. RainRootShine

Jan 29, 2014
    Portland, OR
    Also, one seems to be itching/ biting at a small red bump on it's back? I pick her up and looked at it, it seems like 3 little feathers comeing out of one swollen spot. Could it be ingrown feathers that are bugging her? is this something normal?

5. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

Could be that simple as ingrown feathers. A picture would be more helpful.

They are buttons (cbbq) but I don't bother to keep track of what people call the colors because people tend to just make up names like "darth vader" and "cinnamon pied pearl brown" as it suits them. Grandmabird knows much better what is what. Id ask her.

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    The preen gland is back above the tail. There are a few tiny feathers that grown on the gland. Is this what you are talking about?

7. GrandmaBird

GrandmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2012
    Colorado
    Those buttons look to be about 4-6 weeks old and should be in a brooder 80-85, or in a nice warm place for 2-4 more weeks. at age 6-8 weeks they should be at regular room temp of 70-75. That said they are still getting the adult colors and I would wait for complete feathering before saying for sure what colors you have and sex as well. You would need to post photos of the vent area and under the chin or breast area of each bird so we can help you name them and determine sex. Be sure you are feeding them a high protein fed, either game bird or turkey/duck starter are usually fine, protein should be 25-30%. also be sure they are getting oyster shell now and lots of clean water to drink. a sand bath can be introduced at any time now and they should make quite a mess with it!
    How many birds do you have? looks like 3 at least to me and it could be harder to get the sexing right as I see 2 white birds and sometimes you can not tell by looking at them unless you can vent sex them. anyway good luck and ask if you have more questions!

8. RainRootShine

Jan 29, 2014
    Portland, OR
    Op, That is exactly what it is. Thank you! She was the only one itching it constantly, so I didn't check the others to see if they had the same thing. Noobie here!

9. RainRootShine

Jan 29, 2014
    Portland, OR
    Thanks, grandmabird! I have then on a 30% protein diet, and under a nice warm heat lamp. I only have three birds for now, we wanted to get to know the species a little bit more before we decided if we wanted to obtain more, or stick with three. [​IMG] I'll try to get those pictures soon enough!

10. GrandmaBird

GrandmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2012
    Colorado
    Just FYI Buttons are much better in single pairs or if you want more then one pair they need to be in a large enclosure so they can stake their own territory. The males will fight and even the females will. I have seen too many injuries and deaths because folks like to keep them in groups like regular quail but these little guys are not happy that way. They can get along and then all of a sudden someone gets hurt or killed. I am hoping you at least have one male and two females so there wont be too much of a problem right now. Let me know if you have any more questions and good luck these little ones are addicting! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by