Anybody know when RIR start laying ???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Serge, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Serge

Serge Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2012
    North Georgia
    I got 16 week old Rhode Island Red. And i just want to know when this bred of chickens start laying ?

2. KrisH

KrisH Chillin' With My Peeps

are the combs and wattles getting red? starting to squat for you? then you are close.

RobertH

3. Serge

Serge Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2012
    North Georgia
    Its my first time around chickens, and iam getting impatient. But thank you.Now I know what to look for

4. KrisH

KrisH Chillin' With My Peeps

how many, post a picture if you can. probably getting close.

RobertH

5. Terrik

Terrik Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Dallas, OR
    I have two RIR and I think they started laying about 22 wks or so. It will happen soon. I understand being impatient thou, lol

6. epeloquin

epeloquin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    I have three Rhodies and my earliest was right at 20 weeks and the others were all laying by 25. You're getting close but you have to be patient. Trust me, it is worth the wait! Just give it time, it is really important that their egg production system fully develops. Plus we are still in fairly short daylight hours which will definitely affect egg production. I have six girls all together and we are just now getting 4 eggs per day.

Like the other post said, watch for their comb and wattles to grow big and get red and they start squatting. Those are signs that you're close. This picture is from July 28th. We had been gone for the weekend and came home to be very surprised at how much her comb had grown. The next pic is Sept. 10th, her first egg. That was a tortuous wait! Like I said patience.

I CAN tell you for sure when they will start laying...when they are good and ready!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. jomoncon

jomoncon Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    My first RIR started laying at 19 weeks. All were laying by 24 weeks since that was the first day I got 8 eggs from 8 chickens.

8. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Depends. Most folks, including the photo posted above, would likely own production reds, hatchery RIR stock at best.

The true RIR takes much longer to mature, has a brick shaped body, mahogany colored feathers. True RIR are quite a bit more rare and harder to come by.

9. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Thats why I call mine Texas Reds or just plain red chickens. I've had them lay at 25 weeks & as early as 18 weeks.Here's the ones that layed at 18 weeks.[​IMG]

10. Serge

Serge Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2012
    North Georgia
    I got my RIR from McMurry hatchery, 24 girls 1 rooster, their was no exstra. Now iam down to 2 roosters and 13 hens, but they steal recovering ( coughing) from some sort ehronic raspiratory disease. Their combes not so big and pink color, I can't upload picture on my cellphone, but will do it letter and of my first egg. I appresiate all the help and pictures. I will work on my impatients :rolleyes:, and keep this post up to date

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by