Anybody know who lays a gray/BLACK egg?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cackleberrylinda, Jan 8, 2011.

1. cackleberrylinda

cackleberrylinda Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Arlington
    My daughter is getting one egg every day that is black / gray. When she wipes them off, it's like a sooty powder is coming off. But it's not greasy. Most of the black stays on. Could it be duck? If so, what kind? My granddaughter told her to look at everybody's butt... Guess that might work.... LOL

2. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    im not positive about this one but, I thought duck eggs are waxy'ish looking ( mine are )

what are the breed of the hens?

this chart might help, you look for the breed of hens you have then on this chart it will tell you what color the breed usually lays

http://www.sydcom.net/users/raymc/chooks.html

3. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    If she has Cayuga ducks, thats what its from. Cayuga's lay a smoky gray or black egg. I don't know what else does but my two Cayugas do! Congrats!

Laurie

4. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    yeah Im confussed on the whole black egg thing I hope the chart works ( if its a chicken ) other wise I dont know much about ducks

good luck [​IMG]

5. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
  6. slightlyscrambled

slightlyscrambled Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    Nebraska
    If she has ducks thats where its coming from, my Cayugas and mixes lay gray to black eggs.
    hth

7. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    wow, that is one really dark egg, I agree then.

8. cackleberrylinda

cackleberrylinda Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Arlington
    Thank you ... checking with her to see if she has Cayugas. She must have. They are sure a pretty duck as well. Hmmm, think I might have to hatch a few out next spring. Is it Spring yet?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by