Anybody knows what our Belgian chicken's problem is?

DrWhoe

Hatching
Apr 3, 2018
Hi, since no one knows what the problem or cure can be over here in Belgium/Holland, i try to find some answers here.
Forgive me my not native English. :)

Problem started 4/5 weeks ago.
Chicken walks difficult, lays down a lot, presses/moves with wings
She eats and drinks ok.
Overal healthy look in feathers and comb.
Still lays eggs.
The other hen has no problems.
Went to vet 2 times: poop is ok, no obstruction in egg laying system.
Has got 2 antibiotics:
- Lincospectine: Lincomycine - spectinomycine (for possible breathing issues)
- Emdotrim: Trimethoprimum - Sulfadiazinum

Still no progression in her behavior and wish I could know how to help and cure her so she will get better.

Here's a little movie on how she acts.
https://streamable.com/ltsjt

Thanks for advice all!
Kind Regards, Steven

Hi @DrWhoe :frow Welcome To BYC

The poor dear is struggling isn't she.

When you took her to vet did they perform any xrays to look for any matter or masses in the abdomen?
When you say that poop was o.k. - was this a fecal float to check for worms and coccidiosis overload?
Does she have any swelling/bloat or feeling of fluid in the abdomen?
Is her crop emptying overnight?

It's hard to know sometimes with chickens. Her stance and behavior, to me, is a hen that is having reproductive/internal laying problems.

Hi! Thank you! :)

No xrays where made.
Poop is still visualy ok and vet did microscopic check. He Said, no probs with that.
Vet inspected her all over and didn't see any problems.
Can't tell if her crop is emptying overnight but vet said: crop was filled properly.

Our guess was problem with laying system but she still lays eggs. Another vet i spoke on the phone told me if there was inflamation of laying organs she wouldn't lay eggs anymore...

Hi! Thank you! :)

No xrays where made.
Poop is still visualy ok and vet did microscopic check. He Said, no probs with that.
Vet inspected her all over and didn't see any problems.
Can't tell if her crop is emptying overnight but vet said: crop was filled properly.

Our guess was problem with laying system but she still lays eggs. Another vet i spoke on the phone told me if there was inflamation of laying organs she wouldn't lay eggs anymore...

There's inflammation of the laying organs - oviduct/ovaries, etc. and then there's internal laying where egg matter/masses or fluid accumulates in the abdomen. A hen can still lays egg if they have laid internally or have cancer/tumors up until the point that the abdomen swells/becomes infected and starts to inhibit the passing of eggs.

I would definitely check her crop function - feel the crop at night when she goes to bed - it should be full. Check it again first thing in the morning before she eats/drinks - it should be flat or empty. This is the only way to know if the crop is functioning properly - if you are just checking her during the day, it can be at different stages of fullness due to eating/drinking.

Keep us posted.

Welcome to BYC, and sorry about your sick hen. Thank you for the good description and video. That helps. She looks so sad. It is confusing that she is still laying eggs. Do they always look normal and have a hard shell? I would definitely check her crop first thing in early morning, just to see if her crop has emptied, or if there is a firm crop or puffy like a balloon. Mareks disease could be a possibility as well, and it can cause neurological signs, such as dropping wings, and legs that feel sleep. It is good that you have had vet care, since most of us here are not vets. Many times we cannot know exactly what has been going on until after death when a necropsy can be performed, either at home or by a poultry lab. Mareks testing can be done at that time. Please keep up updated on her condition.

Thank you for your messages!
We're in another timezone so had the first overnight crop examination now.
Crop was full when going to sleep. This morning it is possible that she has eaten something already but her crop was remarkably emptier.
Given her Metacam painkiller last night and she walks a little livelier now.

Back
Top Bottom