Anybody like Caterpillars?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by chickypoo, Sep 27, 2008.

1. chickypoo

chickypoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2008
    Colorado
    [​IMG] I have found the last few ones of the season! I have three, one is in a chrysalis, one is getting ready for it and the other is still growing. They are nice little guys, quite, easy to keep and I am pretty sure they are a type of swallowtail.[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Annie is on the left and Mini Me is on the right

[​IMG]
    This is Nick, he has been a chrysalis for about a day now. For some reason none of the sticks I gave him were good enough, he chose to change in an old egg carton.[​IMG]

2. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Ohhhhhhhhh............too cool!!! I think they are so amazing and love watching them change!!!! Have fun with them!!!! [​IMG]

3. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

Very cool!

4. swampducks

swampducks Overrun With Guineas

Feb 29, 2008
    Barton City, MI
    I picked up a very fuzzy greenish-yellow one today with spikey black hairs in a couple spots and put him in a tree so he could avoid the chickens. Wonder what it will turn in to?

5. buck-wild-chick

buck-wild-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Hamilton C. FL
    awww I luv them !!!

For sience class, we hatched out 4 cocoons.. And Then realesed the butterflies !! so freakin cool

6. I adore caterpillars! My husband found an AWESOME one that we let go a couple of weeks ago, it was white with black spots and black hairs sticking up. I have never seen or heard of a black and white caterpillar before that!

7. chickypoo

chickypoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2008
    Colorado
    Well I did a little digging and found that they are either Eastern or Western Swallowtail Butterflies. Most likely they are western, I am a bit far for the easterns, but we'll see. I did read that sometimes they will turn into a chrysalis and over winter that way! I don't think I could wait that long, I hope they hatch!

8. ChickyPooh

ChickyPooh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    South GA
    I saw the title and I thought you were feeding them to the chickens!!! ha ha [​IMG]

9. happyhen

happyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Northeastern Ohio
    I have a soft spot for caterpillars too, even when I know they're just moths. I found a 3 inch long "woolly bear" this morning on the patio.

I moved him to the woodpile before the chickens found him!

10. brandywine

brandywine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    Western PA

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by