Anybody live in Florida and do you have a game farm license?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by underground chickenman, Aug 5, 2009.

1. I'm thinking about adding some quail to the poultry mix, but I read where Florida requires a $50 game farm license to raise them. If I apply for the license, will somebody actually come out and check out my "facility" or will they check to verify appropriate zoning? It's not the money. I just don't want to be discovered. I don't mind violating a stupid zoning code that prohibits poultry, but I don't want to stiff anybody out of any fees, even though I think that's some crap too. Any feedback will be appreciated, especially if you are in Florida.

2. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    so lemmie get this straight where you are you're not legally allowed your chickens even? If so that's a shame!!!! I think every place should allow poultry. Are you looking into coturnix? or what kind (just curios what you're getting and what your plans for them are)! [​IMG]

3. No, I am not zoned for it, but I have 8 living peacefully in my backyard not bothering anybody.

I want to start with Coturnix, as my research tells me that is the easiest and most economical to begin with. I plan to raise them for meat and eggs.

It just seems silly that I have to have a game farm license to raise a few quail in my suburban neighborhood.

UGCM

4. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:For coturnix I think it's completely silly when people need a license for them as they are not native. Here in PA they are legal without a permit and they may actually be in your area as well. [​IMG] However, I can understand in florida why they are concerned about those sort of things as if they get loose they stand a better chance of surviving though coturnix have a low survival rate for several reasons not to mention they migrate LOL.

If you're already undergroudn with innocent chickens, and want some innocent coturnix I say go for it [​IMG] Just make sure they are penned well so none escape and deffinatly never let them go (freezer camp is better) [​IMG] As long as you're not planning on selling them and only keeping them for your own enjoyment I dont see an issue with it esp if it's coturnix or button quail. Bobwhites is different (as is other native quail).

5. Swamp Roo

Swamp Roo Songster

Apr 22, 2008
    SW FL
    Need a license in FL? Maybe to sell commercially I wonder, but I've never heard you need one to raise for your own "consumption". I may be wrong on that, wouldn't be the first time. Where'd you hear you needed one. What part o' FL you in?

Swamp

6. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I live in Florida, and I've got 10 Coturnix Quail. I've never even knew we had to have a license, at least for the amount I have? [​IMG]

7. ~SunSetsWest~

~SunSetsWest~ Songster

Jul 20, 2008
    Central, Fl.
    I have heard that you do need a licence for game and waterfowl, at this time. But I've also heard that could change soon, I never got one and have had no problems..

8. poultryhaven

poultryhaven Addicted to Seramas!

Jan 19, 2009
    Ocala, FL
    I live in florida and i'm not allowed to have any chickens but i have 38 chickens(4 being roo's lol), 1 guinea, and 7 quail so idk i guess i should just keep quiet lol.

9. silentrunning

silentrunning Songster

Jan 18, 2009
    Venice, Florida
    I live in Florida and have about 40 quail in the back yard and several in the freezer that needed an attitude adjustment. My neighbors think it's great that the whip-o-will are starting to return to the area. They don't even know I have the quail but they can hear the roosters crowing and they think it's wild birds. I also have chickens that free range all day and so far no one has said anything.

Doug

10. I have just discovered that a rule change is pending that would exempt 50 birds or less (except waterfowl) from the license requirements in Florida.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: