Anybody made a hat for their roos?

moenmitz

Songster
11 Years
Apr 15, 2008
I know it sounds silly, but I am contemplating making some sort of comb/ wattle cover for a couple of the boys. I have a rose comb brown leghorn, Axel, who already appears to have frostbite on his enormous wattles-they have some black and white "burnt" looking areas on them-and it hasn't even been super cold yet-just a few days in the single digits. It will get MUCH colder before winter is over, so this is not a good sign. Slash is a Speckled Sussex with a HUGE single comb- probably 3 inches high, and I hate to see it get froze off. I read to sue vaseline, but it seems a bit impractical to sort out these two guys from the 50 others and lube them up every day- especially since they dont really like me and I have to chase them to catch them. I was wondering if soem sort of ski-mask like contraption would work- and I could just leave it on for the winter. ANybody done anything like this? I am concerned about it being a strangulation hazard, as well as the other chickens attacking it for being different...any thoughts?

Can't help you with the hat thing, although there was merry speculation on the subject on a recent thread LOL (btw, the "coats for chickens" article I was being told about by friends turned out to be about that featherless chicken, which makes more sense).

But for vaseline-ing, just go in there with a headlamp after they've all gone to roost, you can lube the roosters up while they're snoozin' in the dark, very very easy. I do not believe every day is necessary, either.

Good luck,

Pat

I am going to try the hat thing.
cool.png

I have two black giant cockerels. This breed tends to get a big comb and dangly wattles. I will make something out of felt that fits the comb and has a flap that wraps around the underside of the head to protect the wattles. I am thinking a bit of velcro to use as a closure.

I'd be considerably worried that a hat would get wet -- such as, from accidentally dipping a bit into the waterer when the chicken is drinking -- which is a frostbite recipe *right there*...

Pat

hmmm....that is another good point I had not considered. I tried the vaseline thing, only lacking vaseline I used lanolin, thinking it was basically the same thing. The boys were NOT impressed. Also, some nasty chunks of wattle scabbing broke off and stuck on my fingers, as lanolin is sticky, messy stuff. Gotta tell, I was choking back some stuff...ewww. Going to buy some vaseline-still thinking on the hats though-maybe some sort of waterproof material would be in order? Would have to be lightweight and flexible too though...wonder if I have some old neoprene gloves, and if they would work? Maybe cut up an old pair of snow pants? I like the idea of velcro-then it could tear away if it got caught on something so they wouldnt strangle themselves...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom