Anybody make they're own feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Fireraven0613, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Fireraven0613

Fireraven0613 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2011
    I am going through 50lbs of feed a week right now! I had 24 birds, just butchered three broilers which means I have 21 birds left, 6 of which are broilers. The rest are egg layers with the exception of 4 roo's that some how ended up in the mix. Anyways, they're pigs! Feed is the main source of food. They have a very large run but there is very little grass in there anymore and they love when I bring them kitchen scraps.

What I really want to know is if anyone makes they're own food and is more economical. I plan on butchering the rest of the broilers in the next week or so and I'm sure this will cut on my feed bill greatly but I would still like to make them feed.

Thanks a bunch!

2. pirtykitty

pirtykitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    can you let them out to free range part of the day .. that cuts way down of feed..

3. Fireraven0613

Aug 15, 2011
    I'm kind of afraid too.... They're only a few months old. We got them the first week of June. They won't let me hold them so I'm worried they won't go back to the run/coop when it's time to go in. Plus we have lots of hawks and there are always cats around too.

4. ruffledfeathers1234

ruffledfeathers1234 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Athens, GA
    I don't make my own feed, but I do buy several different kinds of feed from the feed store and mix my own that way. Do you have a lawn you could mow and feed the clippings to the chickens if they can't free range. I also feed some loafbread as a suppliment to their diet, that and the grass helps cut back a bit on the cost of feed. And just out of curiousity how much is feed per bag in your area?

5. Fireraven0613

Aug 15, 2011
    I buy the Nutrena non medicated and it's about $16 a bag. I'm pretty sure it's a 50lb. That's what they come in right? Or is it 25lbs? Crap now I don't know! it's been a very very long day!

6. ruffledfeathers1234

ruffledfeathers1234 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Athens, GA
    I'm pretty sure it would be a 50# bag. Do you buy your feed at tractor supply, or at a feed store, if you are buying it at tractor supply I would suggest trying to find a local feed store, mostlikely feed would be much cheaper that way.

7. Fireraven0613

Aug 15, 2011
    Tractor doesn't sell it here so I do in fact get it from a "local" feed store. Mind you I drive about 40 minutes to this "local" store one way.

8. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Chillin' With My Peeps

9. team_metzer

team_metzer Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2008
    I have close to if not more than 100 birds, 50lbs of laying pellets every 2 weeks, 50lbs cracked corn once a month. Feeding them grass cutting helps alot if you can`t free range. I free range mine but I have a couple friends that save me there clover grass clippings. I can toss it in the penned area and the won`t come out to range in the woods.

10. tennesseeckn

tennesseeckn Real or not real?

Jul 11, 2010
    Knoxville Area
    I made my own feed and it was a lot more expensive, even when I hand-ground ingredients. It was also time consuming and scary since you have to ensure that they you are meeting all of their nutritional needs.

I have way too many birds to consider doing it now, but will probably try again this winter. They were a lot healthier looking on the homemade feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by