Anybody need turkey eggs??

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by MandyH, Jun 9, 2008.

1. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

I have a dozen pure blue slate turkey eggs that I DO NOT want to set. The first non offending offer gets them, I will ship tomorrow.

2. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    What would non-offending be? That is like answering that age old question "Do I look fat in this?",,,,

3. debbyluvschickens

debbyluvschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    eastern arkansas
    Quote:LOL I was wondering the same thing, but wasnt clever enough to put it that way....do I look fat in this.....too funny

4. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I want some Blue Slate sooooo bad,,,, lol but I'm not willing to stick my neck that far out!

5. debbyluvschickens

debbyluvschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    eastern arkansas
    I just want turkeys, I honestly dont even know what blue slate are...other than turkeys...

6. MandyH

The Blue Slate variety is thought to have been derived from the black turkey known as the Spanish Black in the United States and the Norfolk Black in England. The Slate was accepted as a standard variety by the American Poultry Association in 1874, incidentally the same year as the Spanish Black.

Slates never gained popularity as a commercial type. The variety now is classified as critically rare by the Society for Preservation of Poultry Antiquities, the American Livestock Breeds Conservancy and the Australian Rare and Minority Breeds Association.

The 1998 census by the American Society for the Preservation of Poultry Antiquities found 108 females and 35 toms, among twelve breeders. The largest flock had 50 hens. No doubt some flocks may have been missed, but that would be true of any of the varieties. Because Slates are so rare, it's wise to order your poults as early in the season as possible and be prepared for delays and disappointment if the hatch isn't as good as expected. Such is the nature of working with rare, heritage breeds.

Copyright 2001: Laura Phillips

These are my breeders:
    [​IMG]

THese are a couple of my babies::
    [​IMG]

7. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    <<and a great husband that thinks we STILL don't have enough to feed!!!!!>>

Wanna trade?

8. MandyH

Listen, he is the reason we are spending more on animal feed than we are on groceries. He said, "how bout we start a chicken business so you can make some extra money". EXTRA MONEY????!!!! What the #$&^%$ was HE thinking. You don't make money selling eggs for $2.25 a dozen and spending $700 a month on feed!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am 33 years old, and I swear he's gonna make me have a stroke or something. HA HA

9. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    No no no dont sell the eggs for $2.25 a dozen, sell purebred eggs here for $20/doz!!!

A $700 feed bill? You feeding them caviar?

Just how many critters DO you have?

10. MandyH

Right now, we have about 200-250 chickens( it's hard to count really) a dozen ducks, 16 grown turkeys, 15 turkey poults, 30 grown guineas, 100 guinea keets, 17 sheep, 3 cats, 3 dogs and I think that's all. I do sell a few eggs on ebay, but not near enough to cover the feed bill. Feed is $11.25 a bag here right now, and hay is outrageous too.
    Edited to add: I forgot the 7 rabbits!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by