Anybody raise Collies?

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by poultrylady, Dec 31, 2008.

1. poultrylady

poultrylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Delano, Tn.
    I am looking for a collie puppy, preferably a male, he does not have to be registered, just purebred. Anybody know of anyone who raises them in Tn. or close to Tn.? I am having a hard time finding one. He will have an excellent home on a fenced in farm.

2. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    NO..........BUT........I want to. I have a Labradoodle and a Poodle that I adore but had Collies in the past and they are so wonderful...........will be watching this post

3. poultrylady

Feb 12, 2008
    Delano, Tn.
    Quote:How are they around poultry? I have never had one but I have always wanted one.

4. mtnhomechick

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Quote:How are they around poultry? I have never had one but I have always wanted one.

Don't have a clue. My two dogs are great aroung the chickens. Collies are herders so I would imagine them running the chickens in from a free range. I can't imagine them hurting chickens since they are COLLIES......which are just plain smart and pretty herders. Although a bit neurotic at times with the barking and touching paws thing. Every breed has SOME issue, I guess.

I always said I would NEVER have a third dog........BUT if someone offered me a tri colored Collie........I'd eat my words!!!

5. ravencreek

ravencreek Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Benton TN
  6. poultrylady

Feb 12, 2008
    Delano, Tn.
    Ya know I have tried 3 times to post this on craigslist and somebody keeps flagging it! I don't know why, I am offering to buy one and give him a great home.

7. Widget

Widget Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Limington, Maine
    Not that this helps, or maybe it does, but I have an almost ten year old Blue Merle collie who is fantastic around my chickens and indoor birds. His relatives, owned by his breeder, are also great around chickens. They love to herd them into the coop at night. His mother used to take great interest, in a motherly sort of way, when the baby chicks were under the heat lamp. She considered them her babies and acted as their protector.
    But this particular line was bred for intelligence and working ability. Translate as a very smart , good looking dogs with lots of energy that can still do the job collies were bred to do and then some; just like Lassie. Unfortunately some collie breeders are now more interested in the show ring and breed for looks not intelligence. Sorry to say but some of those dogs couldn't herd an ant let alone a flock of sheep.

8. kuntrycritters

kuntrycritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2007
    NE Arkansas
    Quote:I have a litter of Miniature Collies due the middle of January... dont know if you would be interested in one of those or not.

I have both parents and the pups will be registered. These are from my pets.

I will be asking $200 each, but willing to do some trading once they are here.

Here's pictures of parents:

Mom to be:
    [​IMG]

Dad:
    [​IMG]

I am located in Southeast Missouri

Last edited: Dec 31, 2008
  9. mtnhomechick

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Quote:This is how my girl was. So Wonderful. I use to take her to work with me.........she was a therapy dog before anyone heard the words. Collies are #1 SMART and then they are loyal and easy on the eyes.

DH is SO into our Labradoodle who is a very wonderful, smart and good girl Wouldn't trade her for a Million $ But my old collie is on my dresser in an urn next to her picture.

I guess I JUST LOVE DOGS.

10. poultrylady

Feb 12, 2008
    Delano, Tn.
    Kuntrycritters, your dogs are beautiful, if you were not so far away I would consider a puppy from you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by