Anybody raise Feathered Mice ?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Dipsy Doodle Doo, Jan 18, 2007.

1. aka Chinese Painted Quail / Button Quail?

I have a broody girl on eggs (due to hatch 1/22) and I'm wondering how safe it is to leave her mate in the cage with her and the hatchlings.
    He's been setting the eggs with her and takes a turn during the day while she's off the nest --- he even turns the eggs.

I'm concerned he might hurt the hatchlings (I don't know why I'm not as concerned about the hen , it's her 1st brood, too)
    [​IMG]
    Any tips, tricks, etc.? My 'feathered mice' were all hatched in the bator and this natural brooding is new to me.

Thanks,
    Lisa

2. Update:
    Hatch day is getting closer [​IMG]
    Both Buttons are still on the nest, the female steady and the male off and on. The male paces around the nest making 'small talk' when he isn't on the nest.

I'm still not sure if male quail need to be seperated from the hen and chicks, but I guess I'll know soon.

Lisa

edit: Yes, I always talk to myself [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2007
    blackdust951 likes this.
  3. tnokie

tnokie Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2007
    Dipsy I was just curious, how many eggs do they cover. Is it common for buttos to sit?

4. I don't have any idea whether they're supposed to be broody or not, lol.
    Mine were hatched from a byc members eggs a few months ago and I don't know much about them except what I've read on the web.
    She had 7 eggs in the nest when she went broody and I swapped them with 10 eggs from another pen.
    She covers the 10 well, but I think that's about the limit.
    We'll see tomorrow (with fingers crossed).

Lisa

5. Day 16 and Day 17 have come and nearly gone [​IMG]
    I caught the hen off the nest and could hear tapping in the egg I checked --- maybe there's a chance they'll just be late.

Lisa

6. beckt

beckt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Indiana
    Any news on those eggs?

7. Yaay! Got at least one out this morning --- I see a half shell out from under the hen.
    She's hunkered down tight on the nest.

Lisa

edit: She's off the nest with 7 tiny chicks!!

[​IMG]

Had to remove the male from the cage. He was picking up the chicks by the toes and flinging them around. Didn't seem to be hurting the chicks, but it was disturbing me.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2007
  8. cindydj

cindydj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2007
    They are so cute! Glad you got them I would hate to be spun around by my toes! Are these the real tiny Quail?

9. Really, REALLY, tiny quail [​IMG]
    Here's a day-old from an earlier hatch:

[​IMG]

And a 4 week old (and that's as big as they get).

[​IMG]

Lisa

10. beckt

beckt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Indiana
    My goodness they are so tiny. Are they pretty calm when hand raised or pretty flighty? I love that second pic. Just beautiful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by