Anybody raise Feathered Mice ?

Dipsy Doodle Doo

ODD BIRD
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
Aiken, South Carolina 29801
My Coop
My Coop
aka Chinese Painted Quail / Button Quail?

I have a broody girl on eggs (due to hatch 1/22) and I'm wondering how safe it is to leave her mate in the cage with her and the hatchlings.
He's been setting the eggs with her and takes a turn during the day while she's off the nest --- he even turns the eggs.

I'm concerned he might hurt the hatchlings (I don't know why I'm not as concerned about the hen , it's her 1st brood, too)
smile.png

Any tips, tricks, etc.? My 'feathered mice' were all hatched in the bator and this natural brooding is new to me.

Thanks,
Lisa

Update:
Hatch day is getting closer
smile.png

Both Buttons are still on the nest, the female steady and the male off and on. The male paces around the nest making 'small talk' when he isn't on the nest.

I'm still not sure if male quail need to be seperated from the hen and chicks, but I guess I'll know soon.

Lisa

edit: Yes, I always talk to myself
wink.png

Last edited:
Dipsy I was just curious, how many eggs do they cover. Is it common for buttos to sit?

I don't have any idea whether they're supposed to be broody or not, lol.
Mine were hatched from a byc members eggs a few months ago and I don't know much about them except what I've read on the web.
She had 7 eggs in the nest when she went broody and I swapped them with 10 eggs from another pen.
She covers the 10 well, but I think that's about the limit.
We'll see tomorrow (with fingers crossed).

Lisa

Yaay! Got at least one out this morning --- I see a half shell out from under the hen.
She's hunkered down tight on the nest.

Lisa

edit: She's off the nest with 7 tiny chicks!!

DSC09071.JPG

Had to remove the male from the cage. He was picking up the chicks by the toes and flinging them around. Didn't seem to be hurting the chicks, but it was disturbing me.

Last edited:
They are so cute! Glad you got them I would hate to be spun around by my toes! Are these the real tiny Quail?

My goodness they are so tiny. Are they pretty calm when hand raised or pretty flighty? I love that second pic. Just beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom