Anybody raise mealworms?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by taraann81, Sep 29, 2010.

1. taraann81

taraann81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    My son has to do a project in school..making an ecosystem...after some research he decided to build a habitat for mealworms.
    Is it truly as easy as adding pet store bough meal worms to bran, an adding a cut up, apple, potatoe or such on top and then just let them be(replacing the bran and veg/fruit occasionaly).

Also I've read you can use, chick starter, bran or rolled oats..does one work better than the other?

Any advice?

How many should we put in a 5 gallon aquarium? How deep should we put the feed?

2. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    Heres my set up. I bought a 3 drawer thingy from Target and keep the older beetles and pupae/just hatched beetles separate. I use either chick starter or layer crumbles, whatever I happen to have at the time. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] The black things are all the beetles, the little pale things are the pupae.

3. taraann81

taraann81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Ontario
    Thats a great set up and I believe I have one of those three drawer thingys laying around!

Why do you seperate the pupae and the beetles? Is that a must?

4. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    Since I have 3 drawers, I just use them. I kinda rotate everything around. Its easier to keep the pupae/baby beetles clean without having to worry about the older beetles laying eggs in the crumbles. The older beetles lay the eggs in the crumbles, and I start having tiny mealy worms wiggling everywhere. The I cant clean it out. I need to separate the older beetles from the baby worms. I'll put the beetles in the empty drawer I have. That way, the baby worms will just be in the drawer. You could probably keep them all together but since I have 3 drawers, I use them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by