anybody raise sprouts to feed the chickens?

Delmar

Songster
9 Years
Nov 26, 2010
Indiana, a dozen miles from MI
My chickens love when I move the tractor to a new patch of ground. I was amazed at how much grass they eat and how much they seem to love it, but the grass is officially gone for this year. I was thinking they my enjoy it if I started sprouts.

Here's some I have going. Dried whole green peas (I over filled the container as I didn't realize how much they would swell). Because the seed has become active, the good stuff is made available to the sprout, the nutrients, fats and proteins become more available for digestion. For example, a 3 day wheat sprout compared to a wheat seed has 300% more vitamin E. When the tail of the sprout is as long as the grain itself, it is at peak nutrition.

66336_img_4808.jpg

66336_img_4809.jpg

I sprout in a glass container with water, no light or soil necessary. I soak the grains/seeds for 6-8 hours or overnight, then drain and let sit for another day or two (or three). I rinse them morning and night to keep them going. The grains/seeds are ready to eat once the root is as long as its seed body. I'm not sure I'd bother if I had to use soil/pots etc. It's gotta be simple and fast or I'll quit! We were quite serious with this years ago when my husband was sick, it's a excellant way to eat for everyone.

Quote:
so how do you do it..just grab some of the grain and wet it?? (as if i were growing cress?)

First, soak the grains for at least eight hours to activate the enzymes; drain the water off, rinse, and drain again. Then if you're using a jar with a screen on top, set it at a 45 degree angle so the water will drain off into a bowl, i.e., don't let the grains sit in water. Rinse and put it back in the 45 degree position a couple times a day. Usually takes just one or two days. My daughter, of the Living Foods Institute, says they're ready when the sprout is half the length of the grain.

If you're using a sprouting bag, hang it up to drain into a bowl.

ETA My wife insists on my adding that she makes sprouts for us. She usually uses mung beans with sea salt and cayenne pepper. They make a great snack or can be put on a salad. Our daughter makes salads totally out of sprouts, maybe with Jamaican curry and/or any other spice/seasoning.

ETA #2 You can buy sprouting jars with screen lids and sprouting bags at health food stores.

Last edited:
I just started some pearl barley that i got from the grocery store.. it was with the dried beans and rice. Didn't know if it would sprout or not...but it did!
big_smile.png
Another day or so and it should be good to go. For those of you looking for a warm place.... Use your oven with ONLY the oven light turned on..no heat, just the light.. it warms it right up just like a light bulb over a brooder box. I let my bread rise in my oven with just the light turned on and that works well too.

I wasn't entirely happy with the food available at our feed mill so I began to supplement. I started sprouting a few weeks ago. I'm hooked! Its a super food, and dirt cheap. So far I've tried wheat kernals, whole green peas, and adzuki beans. I've got a pantry full of dried foods I'd like to try. I have 2-3 jars going, covered with cheesecloth and an elastic band. Chickens love them - they are excited by their little roots (suppose they look bug like?). I would like to see the family use them as well
hmm.png

Tip: remember to rinse a couple times a day otherwise they don't stay fresh.

ive never heard of sprouting? what is it? i read the thread title and presumed the poster meant brussels sprouts lol!

We do quite a bit of sprouting for our family and if you're using the cheescloth/rubber band on a mason jar method I've found it easier to cut a circle of plastic needlepoint canvas that fits the top of the jar and then use a canning jar ring to hold it onto the jar for the straining process. Lasts forever and is easily washable. I'm new to the forum and am learning a lot - hope to get our first chicks this spring! Thanks and hope this helps someone!

Back
Top Bottom