Anybody raising the Kosher Kings??

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by jessicayarno, Oct 14, 2011.

1. jessicayarno

jessicayarno Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    Just wondering experience in raising the Kosher Kings vs. Freedom Rangers... I called and spoke with a gentleman at Noll's hatchery in PA, and he was very nice and informative.. I like that fact that the KK are about half the price of the Freedom Rangers, but I would like to hear of others experiences with them and if people like the KK over FR and why.. Thanks..

2. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I'd love to try them, but shipping costs to the left coast make the price way out of my range.

3. jessicayarno

Oct 6, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    For me they are cheaper than the FR to have them shipped... I asked the guy how much it would be and it's $25 to ship 25 to Idaho, the birds themselves are only $1 a piece so I did my math and to order the FR and have them shipped it would cost me $70, so I am saving $20 per 25..

4. PA Rooster

PA Rooster Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2011
    Kingman KS
    I have had very good luck with KK for some reason no one else on here ever wants to try them. I find them to be very healthy and a great flavor. Mine dress out at 4-5 lbs at 10-12 weeks old.

5. jessicayarno

Oct 6, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    Have you bred them.. I know people that breed the Freedom Rangers..
    Oh and how is the feed conversion, compared to the freedom rangers.... I just want to make sure that whatever i decide to go with is going to cost me the least amount of money to raise.. I never want to do the Cornish X again... these little guys are so extremely disgusting. I want to raise a chicken that acts like a chicken... Thanks

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  6. Bucky182

Bucky182 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2009
    I have raised them and think they are great. If you want a chicken that acts like a chicken and looks like a chicken these are them. I have never kept any back to breed my own but am sure it would be ok. These guys look like a giant bared rock. They are aggressive feeders too. At two days old they would try thier best to kill and eat a grasshopper. They are very active and I don't see any of the depression some people have talked about with the FR due to inbreeding. Mr. Noll started and breeds these chickens so you don't have that problem since he made them to begin with. They also have an all white bird and a red bird. I am going to try them this year they say the red gets the biggest. My KK I raised got really good sized. Now they do not have a breast like a cornish-X does. Thiers is longer and not as round looking. They due have huge legs and thighs and a super flavor. These are real chickens in that I ordered all roosters since I was going to eat them. They acted just like little chickens, fight chase each other and scratch for food and pitty be to the bug that gets in with them! LOL

If you want a bird that is somewhere inbetween these and a cornish X with out all the problems of a Cornish cross try MT-DI haterchy and their rosambro birds. I also raise them for people wanting a nice breast. These are almost all white in color and are very hearty and active but have a really nice breast. Probably the nicest bird I have ever seen dressed out. They do not seem to have all the cornish x problems and are more active and will dress out at 4-5 lbs in about 10-11 weeks, a little quicker than the KK.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by