Anybody See The HUGE Egg Recall???

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by suzettex5, Aug 18, 2010.

1. suzettex5

suzettex5 Songster

May 26, 2009
    California
    Yep, about 248 MILLION eggs were recalled for sallmonella, with over 250 people in Ca alone sickened. How does that happen??? How does the germ get into the egg and make people sick?

It was not a Ca based egg factory, and the eggs were dated from MAY to August. I was grossed out to think people are buying eggs laid in MAY!! How sad. Who wants to eat 3 month old eggs?

Makes me very glad I have my own 'egg factory'! [​IMG] I know there are outside eggs in some of the food I buy and consume, but I am still glad to have a source right here at home I dont have to worry about as much. I feel so bad for those folks who got sick.

Yet another reason for all bans on backyard hens to be lifted, IMO.

ETA- went to Pineapplemama's link- she has better info!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010

2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Crowing Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    This is a big reason that the NPIP laws are in place. My guess is that this company wasn't testing like they are supposed too. They will now have to cull that entire group of laying hens and start over. Poor chickens. [​IMG]

3. Yep... https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=387683

Which
    I figured was MEAT... didn't dawn on me it was the egg thing.... so then I started a topic... Egg Recall
    Then another one started a topic... Egg Recall
    and now you started one... Anybody See The HUGE Egg Recall???

Glad to see I'm not the only one who misses the forest for the trees. [​IMG]

I just cut out the text of my post (diff link than that topic had) and posted as a reg post in there.
    Then Reported my own topic and asked the Modly Ones to please delete my dupe topic.

4. suzettex5

suzettex5 Songster

May 26, 2009
    California
    Thanks for the link- didnt do a search first, shoulda known better! [​IMG] I'm always a day (or two) late...

5. ducks4you

ducks4you Songster

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
    Best is to be like us, and own hens. SECOND best is to have a backup resourse. For ME, the U of I sells their eggs on Tuesday, and they are organic, and sensibly priced. Don't know about YOU, but my egg supply sometimes isn't enough. Find your backup source.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by