1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anybody tell me what breed this is? Think it is an Amber Star Hybrid.. Advice needed

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ashleal123, Nov 24, 2013.

1. ashleal123

ashleal123 New Egg

Sep 23, 2013
    Manchester
    Hey! :)

Recently got a new pullet because they had to swap my rooster due to a mistake in sexing the chicks when they were young, so they swapped him for my new girl

Can anyone tell me which breed she is?

Plus the other 2 pecked her head as soon as she was put with them, so I have separated them, any advice on this too?

[​IMG]

2. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    I am not sure what breed she is. But I do have some advice for adding her in. There IS going to be pecking. I would section off a part of the coop with separate food and water for her, so the chickens that you already have can see here and get used to her, but not get to her. After a week or two of this, either sneak the new pullet onto the roost at night or let her out while they are free ranging, either methods work great. Hope all goes well and you get some answers on the breed!

3. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    x2

She looks to be a mix to me and could be an Amber Star...which is a hybrid from a Rhode Island White (from what I've read). Hard to tell as some general Leghorn mutts I have look like that.

Lady of McCamley

4. alibra

alibra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    Sacramento, CA
    Rhode Island white or white plymoth rock?

5. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    true rhode island whites have a rose comb and it might just be my computer but the legs don't look yellow, which means not a rock either

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree.

7. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Good reminder that true Rhode Island Whites have a rose comb and an Amber Star should be a hybrid from a Rhode Island White...and my understanding is the rose comb is dominant over a single comb...your bird looks to have a single comb so I think it is more likely a leghorn or rock mix.

Lady of McCamley

8. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    I think the best you can say is a commercial hybrid, probably crossed with white Leghorn in there somewhere. My guess would be a Dekalb Amberlink, which does have a straight comb.

9. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

She looks like a runty meat bird to me [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Here is one of mine at 9 weeks. This one is runty as well. I had a slow second batch.

She probably isn't of course, because she is small. It would help to know her actual age.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by