anybody tie flys?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by snugglepup, Sep 30, 2007.

1. snugglepup

snugglepup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2007
    Creedmoor, NC
    I think that's what it's called. I have a friend who likes to make his own flies for trout fishing. We were wondering what would be the best breed to raise for the purpose of feathers for fly tying? This would be other than that famous kind that comes from colorado (grizzly?). Thanks!

2. nccatnip

nccatnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2007
    Piedmont area NC
    I don't remember which one it is but there is a breed listed in the McMurray catalog just for that purpose.

3. firechicken

firechicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    Covington, GA
    I tie flies, but I cant tell you the breeds that are used other then the barred rock, which is what makes a grizzly colored feather. The other popular colors for fly's are dun(kinda blue grey, maybe from a blue breed of something) cream, black, and brown. I guess any breeds with these colors would work, but they have to be roosters. I think some people use feathers from hens but they are for big saltwater flys, and I don't tie those.

4. wclawrence

wclawrence Chillin' With My Peeps

Pure Grey Junglefowl.

Also one bred specifically for tying is called a "saddlegene bird" It looks like a Barred Rock with extra extra long saddle feathers. Hard to get ahold of but are worth a fortune if you can get one.

That is all I know of.

5. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Anything with good saddle and neck feathers will work. The most useful colors are black, brown, gray, and barred.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by