Anybody turned chickens into a career?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Malbri, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Malbri

Malbri Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2008
    Bowdoin
    Such as raising meat birds and selling them processed, selling eggs, or breeding?

2. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

i went from owning 1 roo,, then 3 hens,, now i sell a couple hundred chicks a week [​IMG]

3. Malbri

Malbri Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2008
    Bowdoin
    Quote:Do you have a side job or is this your only income? Do you do it by yourself or do you have workers?

4. junebug7334

junebug7334 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    wow Jim! And snake hunting! I have shown all my friends your pics! It still creeps me out! How did it taste?

5. the1much

Quote:it tasted GREAT!! i was surprised,,, kinda like a cross between "unfishy" fish stick, and a guinea hen,,,, was actually pretty good [​IMG]
    and the kids are STILL telling everyone they see lol [​IMG]

and junebug,,, i have a couple businesses of my own,, im really disabled, and do WAY more then i should,,, but i even do my birds by myself,,,and well the wifers helps out once in a while [​IMG]
    right now i dont have no workers,, i dont like sharing the money lol,, but am expanding,, i buy the chicks a day old, and resell them from the yard,, soon ( by spring) im hoping to have enough of my own birds for each breed to do it ALL right here.

6. chickn

chickn Away for a bit

Apr 15, 2008
    New Hampshire
    we buy sell hatch also, i like the hatching, but i also like the idea of buying pullet chicks and know what it is i am getting, this hatching yr has seen a lot of roos.

we go to swaps atleast once a month and i advertise in craiglist and other want ads
    and the birds basically pay for themselves. but i also work part time, i dont think i could hold a full time job kids and all these birds.

7. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    Do you have all the breeds you need yet? I am proud of you doing all that. Better to do too much than do too little.

8. the1much

i have a good start,, by spring i should have breeders that are ( 1 roo to 6 hens, 2 breeding pens per breed) RIR, RIW,NHR,EE,black sex limks, my mutts ( just as many people want my mutts then want pures) i still need to get 3 or 4 more standard breeds,, then i may do a few banties,,, and i also have breeders of peafowl, red golden and ringneck pheasants,, and im looking to get some turkeys.

9. horsechick

horsechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2007
    Eaton, Ohio
    Do you sell more chicks or large chickens?
    Or a variety?
    I would think some folks may buy older birds for eating?
    How old are chicks when you sell them?
    Do you buy 50+ from hatcheries?
    Thanks,
    Angela

10. chickn

chickn Away for a bit

Apr 15, 2008
    New Hampshire
    we sell mostly chicks most of the yr, then when we get some grown we sell them just before they begin to lay, so for all the chickens around here the only eggs are ones i want to hatch. usually.
    chicks can be sold as day olds and until they are feathered and so on.
    we do buy large amounts fromt he hatchery on breeds like laying hens.
    but when it comes to my yard candy/breeders i want to buy from the best breeders i can for my original stock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by