1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Anybody use a wood cook stove?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Mr.Dad, Apr 29, 2007.

1. Mr.Dad

Mr.Dad Songster

Feb 2, 2007
    North Jersey
    I need a recommendation on a unit...

Primary use would be for heat....secondary for cooking....good looks are a must...

Ideas?

Then I'll need to find a source that sells and installs in the North Jersey area....in case you know of one.....

2. jimnjay

jimnjay Songster

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    Mr Dad, I had a wood cook stove in the 70's, I loved it but don't try to bake a cake in it, it is just to hard. I used to keep it going, as it was in the kitchen and I lived at Lake Tahoe in Nevada, its very dry there. It heated the kitchen and dinning room and I kept a kettle going to create some moisture in the air. I used it to cook up a skillet dinner when the electricity went out but that is about it.

3. Mr.Dad

Mr.Dad Songster

Feb 2, 2007
    North Jersey
    Thanks jimnjay [​IMG]...

The cooking part would be a novelty....unless we ran out of propane in a real emergency....

I'm looking for a heater....with 'Walton's' looks.....and something we can cook on Christmas Eve, or trying old recipes etc.....

I may be asking too much....but I'm hoping to find a modern stove with old time cook stove looks [​IMG]..........

4. AccidentalFarm

AccidentalFarm Songster

Mar 29, 2007
    Gosh, I have one out in one of the storage sheds somewhere...I'll see if I can hunt it down - it has a stamp on it that says what brand it is. It's a great looking (and working) stove- we just don't use it anymore.

5. MarkR

MarkR Songster

Mar 11, 2007
    Ivy, Virginia
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2007
  6. showme31

showme31 Songster

Jan 11, 2007
    Moscow Mills MO
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2007
  7. jimnjay

jimnjay Songster

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    Paula Dean on the food network has a beautiful replica of an early 1900-1920 vintage cook stove. I would love to have one like hers. Might find out about them by writing the Food Network. We are getting ready to remodel and DH wants a Stainless Steel stove but I would love one of those porcelain ones. We will have to see.

8. Mr.Dad

Mr.Dad Songster

Feb 2, 2007
    North Jersey
    Quote:That link is great....thank you...not only are their stoves beautiful to look at but they carry some cool stuff....someday I want to get a pressure canner, I was on their site day (night?) dreaming last night......

9. Mr.Dad

Mr.Dad Songster

Feb 2, 2007
    North Jersey
    Quote:Wonder what they look like.......if nothing else one would be great to have in the basement or cabin as a back up when off grid.....

Thanks for the link Mark...

10. Mr.Dad

Mr.Dad Songster

Feb 2, 2007
    North Jersey
    Quote:We're going to be doing a remodel as well....I was going to put a standard wood stove in the basement.....but we're opening the house up (kitchen into the living room) and I'm thinking a wood cook stove would be really nice and serve as the backup heater while adding a real touch of country to our house.....I just have to find one that's heat first, cooking second, or I'll end up going with a nice looking wood stove with the tea kettle on the side.....

I'm gonna look for her show and take notice.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: