1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anybody use the Little Giant/Miller PHF11 feeder? Feedback?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by LAFreewayChickens, Jun 20, 2011.

1. LAFreewayChickens

LAFreewayChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

My homemade feeder (10 lbs coffee can plus crock pot lid) doesn't have a lip to prevent billing out, and I'm growing increasingly annoyed at all the pellets my hens waste.

I am attracted to the Little Giant/Miller mfg. PHF11 11lb poultry feeder (http://www.amazon.com/Little-Giant-Plastic-Hanging-PHF11/dp/B000HHLGP4) because it has both a lip and "vanes" or spokes to limit billing out.

Does anyone have any feedback about how well this feeder does at preventing billing out?

All things being equal, I'd rather have a metal feeder, so if the vanes don't make much difference, I'd just as soon buy a galvanized feeder with a lip.

2. ChickenAl

ChickenAl Diagnosis...Chicken-Headed

Jun 5, 2011
    Putnam cty, NY
    Have a 7lb version in the coop and it works well. The vanes seem to keep the feed from piling up on one side and making the feeder lean and spill. In the run I have a 3lb. without vanes and it does lean over at times.

3. JeffreyDV

JeffreyDV Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2011
    New Jersey
    I have this feeder and I am very satisfied with it. There is little to no waste.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by