anybody use thin colored wire to "mark " baby chicks that look alike?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ladyearth, Feb 15, 2015.

1. ladyearth

ladyearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2013
    kentucky
    got plenty of that thin coloredcovered copper wire. it is thin and very flexible. Just for a few weeks anyway.around their littlesweet ankle... cause only have two colored small tie wraps right now... Hubby formerly used them in his line of work, wire and ties....so hes good at such endevors...
    Gotta do something., driving me silly trying to tell the seven HOPEFULLY..supposed to be ALL Baby Girls apart.....
    anyone???
    better get back to preparing for this DANG (probably weather wars..)snow a comin......Hate winter esp for my 1 year old Barr Rockers.......
    thanks yall

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  2. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I use colored sharpies.

3. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    some people paint their toenails.

4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I color down on head. Five colors x 2 locations l/r.

5. ladyearth

ladyearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2013
    kentucky
    wouldnt that not last long and kind of toxic ???? I have such poor vision i would have to get my head close to see the painted toenails.. They run around like wild banshees... they are hilirous.....
    I NEED to take pics.. every week. I dont have any of my one year olds till they were a lot older..
    I couldnt find my camera 9 still cant find stuff after moving) 45 years of accumulations....
    only pics I have is of little dead chick, I felt so bad just weeks old..... so sad
    Not sure if I took a pic of month or so old later on lil rooster that died.. prob from swallwing a screw... wish we would have cut him open to see if he really had a screw running around with....
    we had so many iron in the fire, as usual

6. kyexotics

kyexotics Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2014
    We've named "twins" things like, for example a white pair we have, Snow-Flake...Whichever is on your left is Snow, the other is Flake! ;-)

7. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I use colored nail polish. Colors are endless and it's no more toxic than it is to women who paint their nails. I currently have a couple Welsummer adults sporting colored nail polish around their ankles to tell them apart at a glance. Lasts a long time and won't work its way down to the toes to cause problems.

8. One Chick Two

One Chick Two Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2013
    We tried nail polish and sharpies, but it smeared badly, or was gone in a few days, so we switched to dots of food color on chest or feathered feet. Lasts well until the feathers come in, in few weeks. Don't use red food color. Neon colors work especially well on lighter down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by