anybody with leopard geckos?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by hypnofrogstevie, Feb 9, 2008.

1. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I have a baby leopard gecko and I dont know if he is eating or not. I have leopard gecko food in the cage which is lab raised flies it has vitamions and minerals. How can I tell if he is eating it?

2. Tony

Tony Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2008
    Connecticut
    Feed it live crickets, I`m guessing the flies are dead ,therefore they are not moving. Leopard geckos like food that they see moving. i had them for many years and was NEVER able to get them to eat anything that wasn`t moving to catch their attention. You can buy powdered vitamins and sprinkle it on the live crickets as well. Good luck.

3. hypnofrogstevie

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I had the live crickets in there before. I would put 3 in there at 7am then I check around 10pm and they are still there. I dont leave them in there at night because of the fear that my gecko will get bit

4. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    What kind of substrate is he on?

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I don't have a leopard gecko my but friend does, and I've baby sit them time to time. She feeds vitamin coated meal worms and crickets. Put in about 10 into the dish an let 3-4 crickets go in the cage, and by morning, the crickets are gone. Meal worms stick around a bit longer. I suggest just letting the crickets go into the cage at night and not worry about the biting. I don't think it will be a problem.

6. hypnofrogstevie

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I am using Tile for substrate so he dont get impaction. I have a calcium dish in his cage plus the flies. I dust the crickets as well and I also gutload. I am going to get mealworms tomorrow and some baby crickets as well.

7. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    we have a leopard gecko.... I agree with others: I would go get some little tiny baby crickets and see if he shows any interest. if so, gut load them, dust them...

We feed 4-5 crickets (large) every other day plus some mealworms occasionally. We adopted our guy un November and he has grown tremendously since then. I do not know if the previous owners weren't gut-loading or what.

Good luck! Also I believe there are tons of gecko sites on the www that may have advice on babies not eating.

8. peeps7

peeps7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    I have a leapord gecko, a big female. I'm hoping to get her a male with an orange tail. I didn't think she was eating until one day she came out at night to eat. Here's a pic of my big girl, sorry not a good pic but she's getting ready to shed and her colors aren't vibrant right now. This pic does her no justice at all, I wish I could get another pic.

[​IMG]

9. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    Good job on the Tile.

Coty got it though. Leos are Nocturnal, so it will be eating at night. Feed him/her in the evening and she/he should be ready to go!

10. peeps7

peeps7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    LOL, thanks OEGbantam. If ya'll don't mind I'd like to tell you her story on finding me, its very cool.

I was in a Petco doing a little shopping, as usual, lol. Of course everybody has to look at the reptiles because they are gorgeous creatures. I was about half-way through with my shopping trip when a customer came in with a little box. I knew all the employees so of course I was right in the middle of all the "action". The guy said that his son dropped out of school and this was his punishment, taking his lizard away. Obviously you know he must've loved the lizard or that wouldn't be a very extreme punishment. Anyways if you shop at Petco you know animals people bring in are no charge, they adopt them out. I called my dad and told him that we had a new family member.
    They put her in the back in a tank with water and some crickets until I was ready to leave. I had to get a few things for her before I left. I had other lizards and a few extra tanks so none of that cost me. Now she has been with me for about 1 1/2 years. She is approxiamatly 3 1/2 years old so she has got a LONG life ahead of her.

Sorry about the long story, I think its neat. Anyways I usually do about an hour study on the animals I get just to make sure I got everything down. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by