Anybody worried about the Situation with North Korea?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Boyd, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Worried

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Not so much

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Where?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Um.. Probably not

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    Lets keep politics out of this. Reason I'm asking, is I've had family that served there fighting first the North Koreans and then the Chinese. I am curious if folks realize how tied to the hip we are to South Korea as we are to Israel?

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Q9 has a thread on it going.

3. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    DBF has gone to S. Korea for work-related things twice this year. He may have to go a third time...

4. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

I worry that there are some out there who are just looking for an excuse to go to war. So, any conflict stresses me out.

5. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    Quote:unfortunately war brings about economic "stimulus" in USA. We are a nation of warmongers... Ever see the movie Lord of War (nicolas cage as russian arms runner) ............. Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo accurate.

6. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

I don't watch TV, don't read newspapers, and rarely listen to the radio. I have no idea what is going on, unless it is in my yard or on BYC .... sad, but true.

7. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Well, the Korean War technically isn't over. The situation has just been calm for the past 50+ years. They're about due for some military fist-shaking.

8. KCchickens

KCchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2010
    Fayette county, IL
    I'm mostly worried for our soldiers... Especially because both my hubby and brother are in the air force....

9. welsummerchicks

welsummerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    War does not necessarily or in and of itself, serve as an economic stimulus to the US, or to any country. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. The Lord of War didn't really depict someone generously donating his profits to the US to better the lot of the poor. The market in military weapons is largely an international thing these days that benefits individuals and networks more than specific countries.

It doesn't benefit a country to spend an immense amount of money on military campaigns and weapons. Those who think so might not have been alive during WW2. There was rationing of gas and all ordinary foodstuffs, rubber, and almost every day to day commodity you can think of. The 'boom' that happened after the war involved not having enough housing for returning military men, my mother sewing all our clothes because they could not afford to buy them ready made, and living in a one room apartment with three kids, where they had to bury the trash in the back yard...and he was a well paid young engineer.

Americans not only spent a great deal on fighting the war, we also paid a great deal to rebuild some of the countries, as well as forgave debts that also caused us to lose money. An 'economic stimulus' that merely causes a lot of financial activity, isn't necessarily beneficial to the US if most of the 'activity' is...losing money.

Many analysts contend the fifties and sixties boom had little to do with WW2 as well. Others suggest it was only one factor of many. In any case, it was a peculiar situation unlikely to repeat itself.

Remember, there isn't really anything preventing a war from happening on our lands, and that would not help us economically. We have a fairly isolating geography that makes it difficult to attack, but not impossible. As technology changes, our geographic layout becomes less and less of a defense.

Yes, I am worried about Korea, but someone who follows international events can always find something threatening to be afraid about.

I think of the situation as being a little like 'The Men in Black'. There is very serious stuff going on all the time, most people don't know about it, and remain pretty blissful...at the same time, things seem to keep miraculously plugging along. Maybe our leaders are earning their keep better than we know.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
  10. Bat Cave Silkies

Bat Cave Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Bat Cave, NC
    kathyinmo~~I'm in the same boat....and choose to stay there. Makes "my world" a peaceful, happy place to live.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by