Anyone a poached egg addict?

I like a poached egg from time to time, especially ala Benedict.

Amazing but true story. As many of you know I went to chef school, the California Culinary Academy back in the 90's when it was one of the few (now they're everywhere like McDonald's). 16 months of tough and greulling classes. My last two weeks of school was at night in the Careme Kitchen (Careme a famous chef) - we'd have brief lectures and then our groups would be assigned different food groups that would be served to the public, the first couple nights we were doing the Academy Dinner menu served to the public - the rest was (during Christmas weeks) special parties where the whole room was rented out and we were serving some amazing buffet food. On about the 3rd night the chef gave us a pop quiz. We are required to make eggs: scrambled, fried sunny side up, over easy, hard boiled, soft boiled and poached. Almost the whole class could do the first five but 95% of the kids (after all that training) had no clue how to really properly poach an egg. It was humbling to all of us - no matter how skilled you are you have to have your foundational basics down.

So, what did he teach us ??
a) add a small amount of white vinegar to the poaching water, have the water simmering but not boiling
b) break the egg open but gently slide the egg from the shell into the poaching water, or from the egg shell into a small bowl and slide it in, not plop it in
c) using a large spoon as a come along (of sorts) pull the white in toward the yolk as it cooks - the vinegar in the water helps prevent it dispersing wildly

Viola, in a few minutes you have a wonderfully symmetrical poached egg that would easily fit on an english muffin half.

Last edited:
I have just recently learned how to poach an egg the 'real' way, as bigmike just outlined. I opened up my Julia Child cookbook and figured since I had so many fresh eggs to use up, I'd give it a try. OHMYGOSH, how awesome! I agree, they are addicting! Especially with hollandaise and on an English muffin... MMMMM:drool

We used to eat poached eggs on toast a lot when I was a kid and it was my all time favorite but I haven't had one in years. Think I may cook myself one.
big_smile.png

That was awesome. Thank You! I tried poached eggs once without a clue about what I was doing and was never going to do it again. I will try it this weekend!

I know you all probably think this is cheating but I put several oven proof ramekins in a pot with a lid. Place an inch to an inch and a half of water in the pot and bring to a slow boil. Melt a pat of butter in each ramekin and break an egg in the butter, then place a lid on the pot and gently boil until the egg is as done as you like it. Then slide the egg out of the ramekin onto a slice of toast. They are the very best!!!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom