Anyone actually like/love their job anymore?

booker81

Redneck Tech Girl
9 Years
Apr 18, 2010
Mid-MI
I do
smile.png

Seeing the posts about what types of jobs are out there, not out there, what to go to school for, what to change degrees to etc, figured maybe it'd be interesting to see the jobs out there that people are actually happy in.

Or, maybe I'm just a nutjob, and the only person in the world happy to go to work each day because of my work environment and tasks.

My background and degree are science, lab stuff.

I now work for a large financial/annuity company. I recently moved to the IT area, and now receive requests for system changes, write test plans, and test the changes. I also provide support for system issues and questions.

Some of the things about the company that impressed me was the emphasis on the person during interviews and testing. I do not have a degree remotely related to computers. Didn't matter, because I showed proficiency in using the company systems. I've never held an IT job, didn't matter - I took the analytical test (pretty much and IQ test), and scored high - analytical and IT goes together. All interviews are behavior based (STAR interview system), to make sure they hire folks who think on their toes.

The turnover, even at entry level, is very low. All of the upper management I can think of are all people who started entry level and worked up, even the CEO of the company.

They hire older people, pregnant women, college students, everyone that fits the criteria of hard working and quick thinking. They have a program for entry level folks that allow them to choose their work schedule of 15-35 hours a week, no benefits, but the employee sets their schedule - perfect for moms reentering the workforce and have kids just going to school, or college kids, or anyone who wants a solid part time job that pays well and always has a door to full time.

They cater to employees - fantastic cafeteria, LOADS of perks for local businesses, emphasis on charity giving (company will match 2-1 for many charity donations), good benefits package. They match 100% to 6% on the 401k, and also do profit sharing on top of that. The give bonuses, and are generous in raises if you work hard. If you are a slacker, however, they will can you faster than anything.

Funny thing is, they are always hiring. Think I can convince folks to apply? Never. In the last year, I think they hired 300+ people locally.

(If you want to apply for a job in Okemos, MI, PM me and I'll give you details though).

I love my job. Never thought I'd say that about working in a cubicle, but I love it.

I do!

I've got a degree in art/metalsmithing... but I grew up in the family business doing construction work...which I did for quite a few years. I gravitated toward Facility maintenance work where most of my jobs have been in this field. (Except a painful 4 yr stint at big box retail in commercial sales and some assembly jobs)

I'm currently a Facility Services Manager and love the job.

Last edited:
I don't have any degrees, except from the school of hard knocks,
tongue.png
but I am a realtor and LOVE it, but having doubts if I want to continue in that particular field next year because of the market and the amount of time I spend on it for very little monetary return at this time. I work at a small mom and pop grocery store a few hours a week and I do love it. I love working with the public (which is strange, because I am very anti-social and do not have any desire to mix and mingle with people outside my home . . .
idunno.gif
, but if one of the girls there quits to take another job I think I might offer to work three days a week there and one Saturday a month, and then just give up RE. Illinois is making all the agents become broker's now too, and while you get a chance to take the test, if you fail the first time, you have to take the course, which is another $800 or so, and I just feel like they are backing a lot of us into a corner who does not want to go any further. A lot of agents are having a hard time with this, although we have until 2012 to make our final decision. I worked in a school cafeteria for 16 years and should never have quit that job. . .long story and I was a dummy.

I'm retired and I love it. But I spent a lot of years with a large multinational company. I got to travel all over the world, working with lots of interesting people in sometimes interesting living conditions, playing with big toys (large scale construction projects). A few times I had to work directly for people that were not fun (their standard way to motivate people was through fear and intimidation) and I went through the period where the number of worldwide employees went from 75,000 to 15,000. That was not fun. I won't say I loved my job, but I will say I usually liked it a lot.

I love what I do, I just don't feel fairly compensated anymore and if the tax cuts don't get renewed, it will only get worse.

Then begs the question... why work so hard? But then I'd have to start laying off employees.
It will happen if the tax cuts don't get renewed. Economic fact of life.

Quote:
x2

I teach middle school Spanish. It's kinda like a big Dora episode!

\\

cool!!
lol.png

my darling daughter loves dora!
lol.png

I'm an ER vet tech at a large hospital (10 yrs). The hours can be long, we are on our feet the entire time, get pooped/peed/picky glanded on, bitten, scratched, etc, but I mostly do love my job. It's hard to make it if you are single, but most of us go into this profession because it is a way of life or a calling. Just can't imagine myself working at a bank or in a regular office type setting.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom