anyone actually try ivermectin for eye worm?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by yahtzee, Dec 9, 2010.

1. yahtzee

yahtzee New Egg

Sep 6, 2010
    our now pullet-aged cuckoo maran has had swollen nictitating membranes, one much worse than the other, for months. we tried long rounds of opthalmic erythromycin and terramycin as well as a homeopathic pink eye medicine. nothing has worked. i'm beginning to think it's eye worm, as some photos i've seen resemble our problem. tried vet rx, and a little glob did come out of the particularly inflamed eye, but it hasn't cured the problem. vet care is out of the question. has anyone tried the off-book cure of 3 drops of straight ivermectin in the eye?

2. poultryhaven

poultryhaven Addicted to Seramas!

Jan 19, 2009
    Ocala, FL
    Did you put the Vet RX in the cleft of her mouth? Or straight into the eye?

3. yahtzee

yahtzee New Egg

Sep 6, 2010
    in the cleft. numerous times.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Supposedly you should be able to see eyeworm in the eye, perhaps better with a magnifying glass. Treatment is normally VetRx 3 drops in the eye for 3 days. I've read somewhere that ivomec injectable can be used, but I dont know how it can be applied nor how much to be used. I've never used it for anything.

5. yahtzee

yahtzee New Egg

Sep 6, 2010
    thank you. it's fairly nerve-wracking to put something directly into the eye; i'm afraid of really hurting her, much less causing permanent damage. on the other hand, the condition isn't improving at all, despite all our treatments, and i'm getting somewhat desperate. i'll try getting a better look at it, but i can't imagine what else can be going on with her eyes.

6. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Let us know how it goes.

7. poultryhaven

poultryhaven Addicted to Seramas!

Jan 19, 2009
    Ocala, FL
    From what I remember, its transferred by flies. Maybe if you treated her and kept her inside or somewhere theres no flies, maybe that would work.

8. yahtzee

yahtzee New Egg

Sep 6, 2010
    i thought i saw a tiny worm come out of one eye, but i really can't be sure. it was quite small. and now both her eyes look horrible. after two days of treatment. they are red and distorted-looking. i'm now afraid that it's not eye worm and i'm creating permanent damage. i really cannot imagine what else i can do for this chicken. my husband thinks i should continue with this treatment of 3 days of ivermectin, 3 drops/2x day. i can only hope that she somehow looks worse before improving, but i fear that's not the case. sigh.

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:I hope you're not using ivermectin pour on (blue in color)...it has alcohol in it and will burn her eyes.

10. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    You should be using "injectable" ivomectin, draw it up with a syringe & let the drops fall in the affected eye.

Eyeworms are carried by roaches, btw, not flies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by