anyone alredy affected by less daylight?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ams3651, Nov 6, 2008.

1. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    Just as I started getting 5 eggs a day Im down to 2 or 3 a day since last week. They can get out first thing as they dont have a door yet but they dont have a window inside. I am going to get a red heat bulb, my old one broke, will that help at all? I dont know if I want to add light as I read that its better to let them follow the natural cycle.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2008
  2. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    It is better to let them follow their natural cycle. I wasn't going to add a light in the coop either, but the number of eggs I was getting per day dropped so drastically that I put a light in the coop anyway.

I don't think you need a red heat bulb, a regular bulb will work. They don't need tons of light, just enough to light the coop, so a 60 watt bulb would work just fine.

It's better that they receive the artificial light in the morning. Put your light on an automatic timer. Mine turns on at 4 am and turns off at 7 am.

3. BayCityBabe

BayCityBabe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    I am affected by less light! What a scramble to try to get the birds put up while cooking dinner.
    I have seen photos of coops that have Christmas lights in them. When I no longer need a brooder light in my coop, I am gonna switch. It has to be wayyyy cheaper to run a 6' strand of lights than a 250 watt bulb.

4. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    I am already affected by less light and I live in Florida. I miss my girls! [​IMG] They are barely stirring when I go to work in the morning. Often they have put themselves to bed when I get home. I think they miss me too. The other day they were happy to run around when I came home and let them out, but soon they put themselves right back to roost.

I want to light the coop just so I can spend more time with them. I don't want to be a weekend chicken momma. I think their lives will be better if they get to spend more time with me. [​IMG]

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

We have the lights and it still isn't helping - wea re getting 2-3 eggs a day and we were getting 5. Some days it's only 1. [​IMG]

6. warren

warren Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2007
    UK
    It is just getting light here at 7.30 and dark at 4.30 but I am still getting an egg a day off each of our two pullets with no extra light. Sorry to brag...

Last edited: Nov 6, 2008
  7. blueskylen

blueskylen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    WV
    we have a light on a timer that comes on at 5pm and goes off at 8pm. have not seen any difference in the egg quantity, but my girls are under 1 year old.

8. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    Yep, my egg production has dropped, dramatically. And the silkie is broody again. She is one persistent bugger! I don't do extra light, so I just added extra chickens to make sure I don't have to buy eggs in the winter. Any excuse for more birdies.

9. freshegg

freshegg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    greenfield,ma
    yup only got 2 eggs today and 1 the last 2 days before. I was getting 5-7 Im adding a light so how long before they lay normal again?

10. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    I dont know about my chickens but I've been effected by the change. I hate it. When I get home they've put themselves to sleep and when I peek in to lock them up they lift their heads as to say what do you think your doing, we're sleeping here! UHHHG! I'm ready for spring![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by