Anyone annoyed by these phrases? Or, another attempt at humor by Q9

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Q9, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Q9

Q9 General Headache

"You need to be open-minded!" - I hear this a lot, and it's occasionally popped up on here. If one is listening to and discussing (and even debating) different ideas, one is being open-minded by definition, but the phrase is always used in this context. IT MAKES NO SENSE!!! [​IMG]

"You shouldn't judge others." - Isn't that statement a judgment in and of itself? FAIL.

"Irregardless" - I lose brain cells every time I hear this one.

Question: "How are you?" Answer: "Blessed and highly favored!" - I've only heard this a few times, and it annoys the living crap out of me EVERY TIME. What does that even MEAN? Material blessing? Spiritual blessing? Just-having-a-good-day blessing? I've-had-a-glimpse-of-Heaven blessing? Or just I-won-a-free-burger-from-McDonald's-Monopoly blessing?

"God gave me this song." - Chances are, He didn't, and you needed to have an excuse for not practicing before church. [​IMG] There's a Tim Hawkins video on the subject somewhere...

"[Insert dead character here] will always be with us - in here. *Pointing at heart*" - So sugary sweet that it gives me cavities. [​IMG] No, they won't, 'cause according to the major belief systems the dead person is either in Heaven or Hell, or they've ceased to exist, or they've been reincarnated as a moose. [I realize that I am probably leaving out some belief systems - this is for humorous purposes and is thus over-simplified. This note probably ruins the humor, however, so I suppose I'll have to be simultaneously burned at the stake by the Inquisition, blown up by a Jihadist, shot by a Southern Baptist's 12-gauge, beaten up by a Shaolin monk, killed in whatever way Hindus prefer, and executed by an atheist firing squad anyway.]

"I'm only human." - Well, DUH. You still did a horrible job compared to other humans.

"May I take your order?" - No, you may not. I came here to do nothing but sit in my car and enjoy the view.

I'll think of more eventually - for now, either laugh or imagine killing me in horrible ways.

2. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    I don't like to ask someone if they want something and they answer with, "No, that's okay". Do they not want what I am offering or is it okay??? [​IMG]

3. Peaches Lee

Peaches Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Well, I can understand, because, hoping not to offend anyone, I can't stand DH or DS or the like....[​IMG] I would prefer it to be written out--maybe I'm just old fashioned (because, I'm way behind text talk abbreviations)?

4. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Winfield
    I am blessed and highly favored by my Lord. He told Mary she was highy favored, that's why she was chosen to be Jesus' mother. I have not been chosen to be a mother lately, and I consider myself highly favored just not to be asked!![​IMG]

5. phasianidae

phasianidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    Quote:[​IMG]

6. fuzziebutt

fuzziebutt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Winfield
    I managed a Burger King for years, and my District Manager would mark against us if we asked ANYONE this that was ready to order! She said that if she was standing in front of a register, yes, you can help her, and yes, she is ready to order! She also taught us that when we took someone's money, we were to say "Please". "That will be 6.95, please". You wouldn't get her money anywhere without saying "Please". And when we handed someone a reciept, they were customer number such and such, instead of order number such and such. She was a stickler for details, but I have carried them with me for years now.

7. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

[​IMG]

8. bustermommy

bustermommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    This probably will offend, but it just makes me want to [​IMG] "Have a blessed day." Again, [​IMG]

9. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    Having a blessed day is good with me.... But, I used to work at a place doing customer service. The owner hated the hear agents answer the phone with, how may I help you. He thought that if we asked them, "how" could we help them, we didn't know what we were doing... He was a little odd.

10. twentynine

twentynine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    can't stand the drama!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lots of stuff on here that should never be posted on a public forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yeah-- and all that "D" stuff DD, DS, DH, DW, DB, DS, DF, DM and usually if it has anything to do with one of the high drama threads "dear" ain't the work they want to use.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by