Anyone, Anything?? third post, read through threads more confused

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kimmybee, Jun 28, 2011.

1. kimmybee

kimmybee Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2011
    Waddell
    2 chicks dead, cocidioisis, I think. 4 chicks left... now silkie has developed leaky bubbly eye, treated with olive leaf oil /water...picking up antibiotics, kinda freaking out because these are kids pets, i don't want something spread to my working flock, although these guys are indoors they will go out in three weeks. if they become carriers not good.

I don't want to cull this chick, i don't even know how and I am not taking it to a vet to get it tested. going to pick up antibiotics and vitamins, will keep it separate, although it may be too late.

what a pain, our first flock never had these problems, they made raising chickens easy

2. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    I hope you have some good luck soon

3. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    If it's coccidiosis then you need Corid or other brand of Amprolium which you can find at most feed stores. Follow the package directions.

If your brooder isn't scrupulously clean then now is the time. Most especially you do not want any wet litter in with the chicks. It's an invitation to diseases such as coccidiosis. Also, clean and sanitize their waterers and feeders. If the water is low enough for them to easily scratch shavings and manure into it then raise it up on a block or wood or something so that it's too high for that, but still low enough they can get into it.

The bubbly eye I cannot advise on, but one thing you can do is rub some Vick's vap-o-rub or similar on their nostrils. Be careful not to clog their noses up with it, just rub a bit on their beaks to help clear their air passages.

4. kimmybee

May 23, 2011
    Waddell
    well these little guys are just in a box, heat lamp at night and dirt with water and food containers, it did get damp one day, so maybe....??? I have been keeping things clean but i will lift water up. will try the vicks. thanks so much.. this is really stressful and with five kids and all the other stuff,, what was i thinking?

5. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    If you mean you are literally using dirt then I'd get rid of that right away. Use something like dry pine shavings (not cedar) which you can find at most any feed or pet store. Keep them dry and when they start to get nasty with manure change them out.

6. kimmybee

May 23, 2011
    Waddell
    awwww, we thought dirt would be great, it worked amazing for o ur first flock, how come? well we switched anyway to a corn litter for birds it seems more dry and absorbent , we put the water bowl high. It almost looks like our little silkie could be pulling through,

her eyes are not bubbly now, she is up and eating and drinking.... don't want to get hopes up. using antibiotics in eyes, and giving her antibiotics with vitamins and electrolytes. she is seperated and dry.. I don't know what else i can do, I am going to give her yogurt too and apple cider and I have been using olive leaf oil. this 4 dollar chicken is now up to 70 bucks. she better live!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by