Anyone bought or tried 'Omega Ultra Egg'?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Vickir73, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Vickir73

Vickir73 Chickens Ate My Brain

Sep 9, 2010
    Leggett/Livingston
    Was in TSC yesterday getting feed and I say this bag of stuff named "Omega Ultra Egg." Ingredients: Ground Flaxseed, Folic Acid, Zinc Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6). It's a 4.5 pound bag and was about $20. Feeding directions: Omega Ultra Egg is designed to be added daily to layer rations or as a free-choice feed supplement. Recommended daily amounts: supplement 1/4 cup for 5 birds; 1/2 for 10 birds; 1 cup for 20 birds. Following directions above for 4 weeks will yield Omega-3 enriched eggs containing: 300-325 mg total Omega-3 per egg, of which, up to 120 mg is DHA Omega-3.

Anyone used this? heard of it? TSC said it's a new product. I figured it can't hurt and might give the girls a little variety, but is it worth it? I'd be mixing it in with the flock raiser they get (plus they get a little bit of left over table scraps - most of which they don't eat 'cause they are too picky [​IMG]

2. mikecnorthwest

mikecnorthwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    My Coop
    Apparently omega 3 is supposed to be healthy for us and that is why Purina came out with a new Omega 3 layer feed. The feed is supposed to increase the amount of omega 3 in your eggs. Personally I think it sounds a little gimmicky, and since it's more expensive per bag, and it's only a 40 lb bag instead of 50, I'm giving it a pass. The lady at the feed store rolled her eyes when I asked her about it. I don't think Purina Omega 3 is what you saw at the store based on your description but it sounds like the same concept.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by