Anyone Breed Polish chickens near north Texas???

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by TammyTootles, Sep 20, 2012.

1. TammyTootles

TammyTootles Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2012
    Bridgeport ,Texas
    Hello...My daughter is set on get 2 polish hens .. She wanted them for her birthday but it has already passed. We currently have a flock of 5, 28week old Golden Comets. They are just dolls, a bit goofy but very friendly and love to interact with us. Will the polish hen be a good fit with my current flock? If so is it better to get juvenile birds or chicks? she has already picked names for them....on is gonna be called VEGAS . she says they look like the show girls with all the feathers.,,lol and the other one she wants to call Tutu. she is 14 so your guess is as good as mine...lol
    If they would be a good mix with my current flock where can i get them?

any ideas or suggestions welcomed :)

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Polish aren't always good mixes to a flock they tend to get picked on by other chickens because of there crest feathers. They also tend to be on the lower side of the pecking order so they might get picked on more than other birds. Polish (from my experiences) can or can't make a good pet. With Polish chickens you have to be picking them up constantly until there full grown so they'll get used to it. We have a Polish that didn't get picked up a lot oh my word you can't pick up that Polish! Even if you have trained the Polish it still might not help because there crest feather block there vision so when that Polish sees you she is frightened and runs in the other direction.

Hope this helps!!!

1 person likes this.
  3. TammyTootles

TammyTootles Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2012
    Bridgeport ,Texas
    my hens are spoiled rotten....every time I enter their coop to fill water or feed or just to visit, I have them all crowded around me and Mable is the worst she flys up on my shoulder and sits there .When I let them free range in my yard I sit in a lawn chair and they run around the yard but they always come back to where I am and either hop in my lap or perch on my feet,shoulders,head,knees....you name it...lol and when its time to go back to the coop ,I just call them and here they come with a waddle right behind me...lol I did handle them alot when they were tiny ...I am sure thats why...huh?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by