anyone build using TSCs Sunnyside coop plans?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by keekerschickens, Mar 27, 2015.

1. keekerschickens

keekerschickens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2015
    ohio
    My dads building our coop and this was the plan we chose. Just curious if anyone out there has built using this plan and the pros/cons to it.
    Trying to get ahead of some of learning curve ;)

2. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    I looked it up. Not a bad coop but....
    I would use siding not osb or plywood. Siding will last longer .... much longer.
    Needs vents IMO. I would add vents at each end up high as you can get them above the door.
    Someone on here and I do not recall who used a metal rooster trivet as the vent and it looked cool and would work well to secure it.

Depending on where you live and where you place the coop the metal could be HOT. Maybe consider shingles as an option.

I did not see any windows. Is it just going to be dark inside?

3. keekerschickens

Mar 22, 2015
    ohio
    Haha wow you mentioned all our same questions. We got barn siding material for the walls, we're going to shingle the roof (we couldn't really figure out why the metal?) And are adding vents on our N and S facing walls.
    We're still trying to figure out how to position roosts and attach the run.
    Guess I should have mentioned all that whoops
    Thanks for your insight!

4. keekerschickens

Mar 22, 2015
    ohio
    As for the windows, that's a really good idea. I figured since we would open the doors during the day it would allow light in? No?

5. 21hens-incharge

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    How many chickens are you planning on? That will help in deciding how big a roost space you need.
    Oh and I found that all my external nest boxes were a nightmare to keep dry and the mites loved them.
    The only chickens I have ever had get mites were the broodies in the external boxes.

6. 21hens-incharge

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    Opening the doors does allow some light in but in the winter when only the pop door is open it can be rather dark inside.
    I like a bright coop with only the nest boxes being darkened. (I painted mine a deep blue inside to keep them darker)
    I also like to be able to open the windows if it is getting to hot inside.
    Oh and something I found helpful....
    I prefabbed all my walls and painted them before final assembly. Much easier to paint before it becomes a tight space to work in.

7. keekerschickens

Mar 22, 2015
    ohio
    Oh no what should we do about that nest box then!? Ahh!
    We have 6 chicks

8. keekerschickens

Mar 22, 2015
    ohio
    Excellent idea on the painting.

9. 21hens-incharge

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    The wet would come in above the box so maybe make it a solid lid that is caulked and put the doors to gather from on the vertical side. That way there is an overhang for water to run off of.
    One other thing I noticed about the plan is there is no real wall framing. I would think it would need some.

You can see the framing in my coop pic. I used 2x4's since mine is a huge coop but I would think you could use 2x2's on something the size of TSC's coop and be fine.

[​IMG]

Mine are 24 inches on center. The one in the center in the back is there just to give me something solid to secure the siding to. In this pic it was still kind of in progress but you can see all the window openings and the hardware cloth is secured to keep critters out. I did find screws called a modified truss head that I wish I had found before I bought all the fender washers.

10. keekerschickens

Mar 22, 2015
    ohio
    Oh wow thank you this is SO helpful.
    For the windows, I think I should be able to figure out a way to make small ones? They don't need to necessarily be functioning windows that open because of the doors/vents but could provide some light. Hmmm I'm going to have to start hunting for window ideas!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by