anyone buy silkies from urch/turnland this year?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by MNmommy, Apr 19, 2009.

1. MNmommy

MNmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    central MN
    I have 4 silkies from urch/turnland and as they have grown 2 are not pure silkies at all. I was wondering if anyone else has had a problem with his birds this year?

2. fiftyfifty

fiftyfifty Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2008
    suburban Minneapolis
    I did get chicks from them this year. I'm not sure how much deviation from the standard is considered "a problem" vs "par for the course" because I am new to all this.

I picked up a small number of chicks in an assortment. The silver ameraucana I got was clean faced. Of the 3 black ameraucanas, one had a single comb. The Welsummer never grew at all and died at 7 days. I can't comment on the quality of the gold spangled or gold penciled hamburg or the barred holland because I really don't have enough experience and they are still young-- But there are no flaws that I can see.

I am not going to show them or breed them so the above flaws are ok with me. What I wanted was what I got: some unusual breeds that will lay some cool eggs....now if I had gotten silkies that weren't silkie, that would be another matter...

3. MNmommy

MNmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    central MN
    I called him about my silkies and he said they bought some new line and they aren't what they thought they were going to be. I was kind of mad that I had to get stuck with 2 mutts because they were stuck with a bad buy.

He said he would give me credit next year but I said I don't need more chicks next year. Where I live I can only have a small amount of chicks and I have my quota just not the breed I paid for. He said well you can have credit next year..... Hello???? Did you just hear me?

Long story short I am stuck with 2 silkies mutts that I paid 6 buck a piece. It really isn't that much money it is just not what I paid for and he didn't seem to care about making it right.

The other birds I bought have all done well and are almost 4 weeks. Still undecided about genders so not sure the s/r %.

I am just really disappointed in his customer service and couldn't remedy the 2 silkies. I would have been more than fine driving back down there and picking up 2 more silkies

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by