Anyone buy stuff you see on TV?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by cjstanman, Dec 20, 2008.

1. cjstanman

cjstanman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    Just north of Raleigh
    I hate the commercials, but I'm wondering if anyone out there has bought or used the Sham-Wow cloth. Comments?

2. poussin_noir

poussin_noir Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Katrine, Ontario
    I got one for a present and I wasn't impressed at all.[​IMG]

3. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    That's a negative. All that stuff (with the exception of OxyClean, or so I hear...) is usually "too good to be true."

4. Rte.66_chicks

Rte.66_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Kingman, AZ
    My DH got the PediPaws for me, and I like it, but found that the protective cover just gets in the way, so I use it without. He did say that when he ordered it, they tried to get him to buy all kinds of other things, too.

5. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    I forgot to add... The commercials for buy on TV products always show the most inept people! There's one commercial where this lady has dirt spilled all over her kitchen floor and tries mopping it up. No one in their right mind would do that; most people would sweep up the dry dirt and THEN mop, rather than turning their kitchen floor into a mud pit. [​IMG]

There's another one where someone is chopping vegetables and it looks like she has the fine motor skills of a two-year-old. Then they show her with a bandage on her hand like she chopped off her thumb or something, and the announcer says, "OUCH!" Then they try selling some plastic box called the e-z-chopper or something (which looks a LOT harder to clean than a good knife!). These commercials make me go [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

Vince (sham-wow) always makes me laugh when he comes on the TV.
    There are certain sellers on TV that just make me cringe, but Vince - well, he's like a B-Grade horror flick - ya don't want to watch, your intelligence tells you not to watch, but you just have to. [​IMG]

I've never bought from TV - although some of the stuff does look interesting - they kill ya with the shipping and handling.

I like to see and hold a product (usually) before spending the hard earned cash on it.

meri

7. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    We have a small "Cult of the Shammie" started here on BYC.

The Sham-wow guy with the lazy eye cracks me. Read his wikipedia entry. His life is stranger than fiction.

8. FarmerDenise

FarmerDenise Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    Sonoma County
    We allowed ourselves to be suckered into buying those "green" bags. We're still not sure if they work any better than regular plastic bags. But now that we paid a fortune for them, we are certainly using them and I wash them out regularly, trying to get our money's worth somehow. Silly us. [​IMG]

9. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

Quote:Vince has a wiki article?? [​IMG] I got to go find that!!

meri

10. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Are you with me camera-guy?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by