ANYONE??? Can my 9 week-old BR chicks have cracked corn & wheat grain?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Carrie Lynn, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    I had been letting them have it this week but then wondered if I was doing the right thing by giving them these treats. They do have access to grit.
    Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
  2. Erica

Erica Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2010
    Yes, as long as the overall ration is balanced. They need higher protein than is in wheat and corn. However as a treat it's good, or if you're creating a balanced ration yourself out of grains, legumes, oilseeds, protein concentrate etc then it's quite fine to use these grains in the mix.
    [​IMG]

3. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Sounds just fine! Try giving them some black oil sunflower seeds, too.

4. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    Thanks so much for answering [​IMG]
    I will add BOSS, and make certain it's only a treat, not feed.

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Cracked corn is great for them, but during all this summer heat, keep it to a minimum. Corn adds heat to the body. I make a mix of cracked corn, scratch, black oil sunflower hearts, millet and some unsalted nuts to the mix. The girls stampede me to get to this stuff. Come winter, I will up the corn content so as to stoke their inner furnaces. [​IMG]

6. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

Actually, corn does not add heat. This is a long lived wives tale. All energy, or calories provide heat. Corn is simply another source of concentrated calories.

7. Alethea

Alethea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Yes. Just make sure most of their intake is feed, which is formulated to be a balanced diet. We wait until 4:00 p.m. to give them their snack. That way they've had all day to eat feed. may the flock be with you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by