Anyone candled their Superior Farms eggs yet?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by shortcake1806, Apr 10, 2009.

1. shortcake1806

shortcake1806 Sassy McSassington

Sep 11, 2007
    I know several of you received hatching eggs from Superior Farms recently. Anyone candled yet and if so how are they doing? I'm thinking of ordering and just wanting to get a feel of what to expect.

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I'm not touching mine til day 10 and that will be Sunday evening!! lol The packing job was alot better this time and all made it in one piece!!

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I candled the 24 eggs, [​IMG] 6 maybe out of 24 [​IMG] Few question marks so I hope I'm wrong!

4. Clayton Grace

Clayton Grace Cooped Up

Feb 20, 2009
    Hi
    I hate to say this but I think Superior Farmes are not to Superior [​IMG] . I have heard of a few that had good results from them this year but more that did not [​IMG] .

Clayton Grace

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:NOT a good percentage.

I got development in 5 of 12 with one breeder. (Actually 10 of 18 of you count both breeds) Not super, but better than 6 of 24!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  6. shortcake1806

shortcake1806 Sassy McSassington

Sep 11, 2007
    Thanks for the heads up guys. I called and spoke with Mr. Padgett on Saturday and he said they're sold out of pretty much everything til next year. I wonder if he knew then there were issues and didn't want any more orders.

7. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    6 out of 24 is better than what I would have thought you would get.

I only got 3 out of 24 from a different breeder on here (not you chickenlady!).

8. Lizzy_Lane_Farm

Lizzy_Lane_Farm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2009
    Hi,

I don't have any experience ordering hatching eggs, and haven't incubated eggs in 15 or so years, so take this for what it's worth.

I ordered from Superior Farms, back in Jan. I wanted to make sure I got the eggs I wanted. I ordered 12 Black Java, and 12 White Crested Black Polish Bantams.

My delivery took for ever to come in and my emails mostly went un answered. But they finally did arrive very well packed, all in recycable paper! (A plus)

Out of the 24 eggs 2 of each variety hatched. Now I am wondering if my Black Java are Balck Java at all. In looking at pictures on the net they look like Mottled Java, not Black...

I candled them all and here is the breakdown 1 week before hatch date:

5 looked promising

2 had distinct blood spots

7 looked clear and "speckled" shells...

The rest were clearly just liquid inside.

So out of the 5 promising only 1 chick didn't hatch and when I broke the shell open and compared growth from charts on the new it looked to have stopped developing durring the last week.

From Superior I also ordered back in Jan. 12 Black Java chicks, as of today I haven't received them and can't seem to get a reply from my emails asking when they will be shipped.

Karyn

9. Clayton Grace

Clayton Grace Cooped Up

Feb 20, 2009
    HI
    I placed a order for Red Dorkings from Superior Farms a few week later I got a call saying they would be hatching out and I would be getting them the first week of March. Then I was told they will be hatching out the next week (3 Times ) so I decided after the third time there Red Dorkings may have a low fertility rate. I ask Danny could I change my order to Rose-Comb Rhode Island Reds. I was told then they will be hatching out next week ( 2 Times ). I did not want to go on week after week being told they will be Hatching and ready NEXT WEEK so I canceled my order. I placed my order the first of February waited a month then ( 5 WEEKS BEING TOLD NEXT WEEK THEY WILL BE HATCHING ). Only after I had order I read on this web-site that Danny is only one of four working there with two of them not speaking much english. You would think a high quality hatchery would have been more prepared. As there web-site say " Superior Farms has, over a number of years, assembled what we believe is the highest quality of birds that can be found in individual breeds and varieties of poultry anywhere in North America." What good is all that quality if there birds are very old and have a very low fertility rate. It is not good for the people that has give them there money and waiting for there eggs or chicks to come in and when they get them the hatch % is very low. By the time I decided to canceled my order with Superior Farms and order from another hatchery most of the hatcheries very rare breeds was sold out or would not be available till very late in the year. I will not order any chickens this year and order early next year from a breeder or any hatchery other than SUPERIOR FARMS. After this year I will be very surprised if Superior Farms takes any orders next year or if ever.

Clayton Grace

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  10. Lizzy_Lane_Farm

Lizzy_Lane_Farm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2009
    Aw Clayton,

Sorry to hear this. I guess I am in the same hen house as you. It's far to late in the year to expect anyone else to have the birds I want too. I will keep my fingers crossed and start to look again. I'll keep my eye out for yours too...

Karyn

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by