Anyone care to enlighten?

Lisabee

Hatching
12 Years
Aug 21, 2007
big_smile.png
So here are 3 of our babies. I have NO CLUE as to what they are. I am thinking the bottom photo on the right is a black sulatn. They are all bantams born at the end of May.

www.geocities.com/leabean click on pets at the bottom of the page.

Thanks
Lisab

Top looks to be a Cornish, but I'd need a closer picture to say for sure. Bottom left is Speckled Sussex and right is an Ameraucana. Unless the pics are misleading. I have the bottom two myself in standard size. They are not mixed breeds, unless you count that it's an probably Easter Egger really, as opposed to a true Ameraucana. What's throwing me is the feathered feet, though. That would indicate a mix, but hatcheries dont officially sell mixes except sexlinks. Wait, D'uccles have feathered feet and beards both so that is a possibility. A better pic of that one, too, would help.

Last edited:
Wow I was too busy looking at your web page. I really enjoyed it! The bottom chicken looks like an EE - look at the legs and see what color they are - if they are a grayish, bluish, greenish - that usually tells you they are a EE.

I agree with Cyn on the cornish, I think it is a dark cornish. The two on the perch, I cant really tell, but one does look like a speckled sussex. Not sure on the other one with out seeing its feet.

Since on your post that your BANTAM chickens originated from McMurray....here is my guess on what they have....

first one definately Dark Cornish

Mottled one, my guess would be Mottled cochin if she has feathered feet

The bottom one, guessing its an EE if she does have green or slate colored legs. It is possible it could be a d'anvers if better pic of the front and combwise has some light to it. This pullet looks brown instead of dark black bay back and lighter chest colors.

AS far as I know Mc Murray does NOT sell Mottled d'uccles...they only got the mille fluer and porcelain colors nor do they have Black d'Anvers..
No bantam Speckled Sussex yet LOL and I dont think we got any in the US unless someone is breeding them presently.
It is possible some hatcheries created an "oops" crossbreds....like Ideal did with the Welsummers with feathered feet LOL.

I know someone who got bantam SS, but can't remember where she got them. I didn't check on what MM sold as far as that breed in bantam, so I may have spoken too soon. If we could see larger pics with them standing up, it would really help.

Back
Top Bottom