Anyone care to introduce me to showing?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by blaundee, Jun 29, 2010.

1. blaundee

blaundee Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2009
    I want to show my chickens, but am not sure how and where to start. I "showed" 2 hens at the county fair last year, but was the only exhibitor in the open- all the others were kids, and the judges acted like I was silly to show my chickens since I'm not a kid. I don't have any chickens to show this year, but will next year, and I am thinking about taking them to the state fair. I'm going to check it out this year as a visitor, and talk to some of the exhibitors if they will talk to me. [​IMG]

Are there any other shows/events for showing chickens besides county and state fairs?

How do most shows run/etc?

2. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    County fairs and state fairs are a good way to start, especially if the judge is judging according to the APA standards. There are also shows set up specifically for poultry. Have you tried contacting your local poultry clubs? Let me see if I can find some for your state.

http://www.poultryshow.com/upcoming_shows.htm This is a link to "all" upcoming poultry shows for the US. Looks like the Sante Fe is the next one for your area?

Here's how poultry shows work. You ask for a registration form to be sent to your house. You fill out the registration form and read all rules and regulations in the brochure. It will probably say something regarding pollorum-typhoid testing. Have your birds been tested yet? Ask them if they know of any testers in your area, if there are none, contact your Dept. of Ag and inquire about the NPIP program. They test for PT (Pollorum-Typhoid) and Avian Influenza. For my state, it costs $5 total.

Fill out the registration form with breed, sex (cockerel, cock, hen, pullet) and it may ask for the band number. The brochure is pretty self-explanatory.

Your birds will be placed in a pen so that the judge can get easy access to your birds. I stay by my birds the entire time, but others meander around the building.

Is there anything specific you are wanting to know about?

3. blaundee

Aug 3, 2009
    Ah, you have been quite helpful already! THANKYOU!!! [​IMG]

I would appreciate any and all info about showing, I know a tiny bit but not too much... I'm mainly interested in showing white silkies.

4. Mrs. Turbo

Mrs. Turbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    ky
    poultry press is a "show newspaper" that has upcoming shows and pictures of show winners....etc. They have a website online....just google poultry press.

5. 7961

7961 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009
    MI
    Poultry Press http://www.poultrypress.com
    I highly reccommend Poultry Press as well. It is has a plethera of information for individuals interested in raising and exhibiting show type poultry. A very essential publication IMO. I believe that you can purchase a single copy if you want to see one in hand before buying a subcription.

6. Mrs. Turbo

Mrs. Turbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    ky
    Quote:I thought I had a bug on my screen and tried to kill it....LOL
    love your avatar

7. blaundee

Aug 3, 2009
    Mrs. Turbo :

Quote:I thought I had a bug on my screen and tried to kill it....LOL
    love your avatar

LOL Me too! I like that avatar.

Thanks for the info!! I am really excited to be able to get some real info on how to show for real, instead of against myself!!! LOL​

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    That listing has a lot of out of date information. Santa Fe hasn't had a show in about 3 years--it would be nice if they are able to start up again, but you would need to contact Ed to ask. There was a show in eastern NM last year--can't recall the name of the city, and not sure if they will continue to hold it. Seems like it was in October. The Arizona State Fair is a nice large show that is open to the world, but the birds are here for nearly a week. Contact information is incorrect. email me is you are interested in that and I will send you the correct phone numbers. Farmington has a WONDERFUL show the first weekend in November each year. I know a LOT of exhibitors who say it is their favourite show. Tucson has a show each Thanksgiving weekend. There is a show is Safford, AZ in early January each year--usually the 1st weekend. Casa Grande, AZ will have our 2nd large show the last weekend in February.

9. blaundee

Aug 3, 2009
    Quote:I'm only 2 hours from Farmington, which is close by NM standards lol. Would you mind giving me the info for that show? I won't have any birds for it this year, but I'd LOVE to go see it!!!

Also, info about the AZ state fair would be nice too... maybe I'll make the trip! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by