Anyone care to play the guessing game?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MetalSmitten, Apr 21, 2010.

1. MetalSmitten

MetalSmitten Songster

Apr 11, 2010
    bloomington, indiana
    I'm a newbie chicken owner, I got my first ten chicks ever about a week ago, and so far so good! Everybody is growing and appear to be happy and healthy. I got six that are supposed to be BA and four that were "assorted pullets." Three of the assorted all look pretty much the same and have brownish/reddish feathers starting to come in for their tails and necks, but one seems to have a lighter buff color coming in. And then one of the BA's looks like she's gonna be more barred than the other five. Any guesses? [​IMG]

Chick 1 - with the reddish coming in:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chick 2 - more buff:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chick 3 - supposed to be a BA:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any guesses would be appreciated! [​IMG]

2. wannabe_goatmom

wannabe_goatmom Songster

Jul 30, 2009
    Wellington KY
    I'm new at chickens too so I'm just guessing. The first one looks like my red sex link did at that age. The second one maybe a sex link too? And the last one doesn't look anything like my BA at that age.
    Here are some pics of her, the first is one week old and the second is around 3 weeks old.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will come along. [​IMG]

and [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
  3. mom2jedi

mom2jedi Songster

Aug 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Not sure on your first two, but the third one is definitely not a BA. Looks like it might be a partridge something? What did it look like as a chick? Aussies will be black and yellow like the one in wannabe's picture.

4. MetalSmitten

MetalSmitten Songster

Apr 11, 2010
    bloomington, indiana
    [​IMG]

Not sure if this is the same black chick or not about a week ago, but they all looked pretty much the same at that point. They were in a straight run bin, and none had white on their heads.

5. mom2jedi

mom2jedi Songster

Aug 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    She could be a black sex link. That would explain the red coming in. Keep us posted with new pictures and I'm sure we'll figure it out.

6. MetalSmitten

MetalSmitten Songster

Apr 11, 2010
    bloomington, indiana
    Would they put a bin of sex links though marked as straight run? I don't remember seeing any that had white on their heads either.. not sure...

I know they're still pretty young, but it's like Christmas, I don't wanna wait to know haha

7. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Songster

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Chick 3 is a road runner...LOL

No really beautiful chicks I am no help :) maybe someone eles could help.

8. jossanne

jossanne Songster

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Chick three is a barred rock. Looks like she had a bit of a white spot on her head? Is that right?

9. MetalSmitten

MetalSmitten Songster

Apr 11, 2010
    bloomington, indiana
    No, none of them had white spots on their head.

10. MetalSmitten

MetalSmitten Songster

Apr 11, 2010
    bloomington, indiana
    Of my six black ones, it looks like the one in the photo is starting to definitely get white bars in its feathering, one or two of the others are getting faint dark brown bars in theirs, and the rest appear to still be all black. [​IMG] Three have tails coming in very nicely (like the one in the photo) and three have little stumpy tails.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: