Anyone care to venture breed and sex of these chicks, etc.?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by angie3881, Oct 11, 2011.

1. angie3881

angie3881 Chillin' With My Peeps

This is an older chicken that was a freebie. I have two. One with more brown on her chest. Any idea what this girl is?

[​IMG]

Here are some chicks. The pics are not great, but the little buggers wouldn't cooperate. They have come from whatever the chicken is above, BO's, PR's, BR's, Black Sex link and White Rock. Roosters are RIR and BR. Wondered if you could tell yet the sex of any of these? The gray one is particularly interesting. Looks like a very light BR so far.

[​IMG]

The gray one
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BR- pretty sure. Any ideas male or female?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This one looks like the black one above with a very strange, tall form.
    [​IMG]

And this one. Male or female?
    [​IMG]

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    The gray one is a boy, the BR's are boys, the tall leggy black one is some sort of mutt, the buff looking one might be a boy.

3. angie3881

Quote:How can you tell that? I have NO clue!

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Barred Rocks are born sexable by the white dot on their head, then feather out sexable by the barring. Boys have a bigger white dot and feather out with paler/further spaced barring.

The gray one has a pretty big comb by now and is feathering in pretty slow, sometimes a boy trait.

The long legged chick looks like a Modern Game, American Game, or other Gamefowl got into the genepool.

5. angie3881

Can you tell what the first black hen is? I think it may have been one of her eggs.

6. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    Second generation BSL? hatchery quality minorca? a better pic would help [​IMG]
    grey chick- BR cockerel
    next chick-BR pullet
    next- BSL or PR /RIR X can't tell gender, a better pic would help with this also!
    buff chick-BO/RIR X cockerel

7. angie3881

Quote:So you think the darker BR is a pullet? I hope so. Just had to thin out roo's! I will try to get some better pics. They are uncooperative!! Might try at roosting time.

I think the second, blacker BR chick is full BR- but as for the grey one, is it normal to have one so light in color? None of the ones we bought as chicks were that light?

I had hoped for a Buff Roo and that's the only roo I wanted. Guess you can't make demands on mother nature! [​IMG] Since we hatched these under a broody and from our own flock-- doubtful DD will want to part with any.

Thank you and everyone else for the help!

8. I have no idea what they are but they are all super cute!

9. angie3881

Quote:I think so, too!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by