1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anyone convert a cabinet or tv stand?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by LoveFeathers, Jul 25, 2011.

1. LoveFeathers

LoveFeathers Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2011
    I'm really not handy, and beyond that don't want to build something from scratch if I can help it. I'm wondering if anyone have converted a cabinet or TV stand (or other furniture that may be found at a thrift store) into a quail coop. I'm looking at keeping 5-8 quail. I will probably stick with 5 and if anything get another coop down the road, but I want them to have more space than 1sq foot per bird. I would like at least 1.5 per bird. Any pictures, instructions, plans would be very much appreciated! Anything else relatively easy to find that you have used as a base or converted would be great too. Basically, I'm just looking for easy and inexpensive [​IMG]

2. heather112588

heather112588 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    i havent ...but it definently crossed my mind to do that. Wood is very pricey!

3. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    I used a night stand I found on the side of the road for a quail pen. Still need to do a couple of things to it, but it works. I also started a rabbit hutch from the bottom of a old computer desk I got from the place I buy tires. It ended up being used to house a couple of Silkies. There's a cabinet that my neighbors gave me that they used to use for ???? Had chicken wire attahed to it. I'm going to be using it to build a smallish coop and raise it up (Side ways) to add a run under it for some bantams. Just make sure it's wood and not that pressed stuff. If that gets wet it crumbles.

4. LoveFeathers

LoveFeathers Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2011
    Quote:I guess I can make sure it isn't the pressed stuff by just wetting it? What about insulation? I live in Canada and our winters are brutal, but I plan on bringing the quail inside for the winter.

5. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    If you think you need it then add it, but if they'll be inside and the temps are to low then they should be fine. Besides you'll probably want to add light, so that will also help with a little heat.

6. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Oh, you acn usually find an area of the piece where the cuts are bare. Look for pressed layers.

7. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hubbybator. itwas a 12 bottle wine cabinet. In Ca humidity was an issue (our house is usually ~20%) so we went back to an insulated one. So long as you're not in a desert, it should work well (heat was good, but getting humidity high for hatching was a mess.

8. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    MANY FORMS OF PRESSED BOARD GIVE OFF FORMALDEHYDE, WHICH IN A SMALL SPACE OR CLOSED ENVIRONMENT WOULD HAVE TOXIC CAPABILITIES TO THE BIRDS. JUST SOMETHING TO CONSIDER [​IMG]

9. gamebirdboy

gamebirdboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    East Tennessee
    Sorry, but I doubt a TV cabinet will last long outside. Maybe if you covered it with shower paneling. [​IMG] I made a pen out of a metal shelf. Used the trays as a roof, put some marine plywood on the back, and put 1/2 inch wire on the front. I cut a holes in the wood for 2 doors, the ends already had metal over them, I made legs out of 4x4's and put it on casters I got out of the neighbor's garbage... [​IMG] Didn't spend a dime, all from leftovers.

10. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    The ones I got were solid wood. I sealed them with wood protector. I did use 2x4s for legs. Mie have no wheel, but I've though about it.

OK now I have to start a thread on painting wire cages. LOL

I have 27 quail that need to be moved and I want to do it today or tomorrow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by